Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic or Stick Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Nome

Default Automatic or Stick Shift?

I would preferably get a stick shift if its a GT, but I'm getting my car used and it's an automatic. It kinda bums me out cause a manual would be more fun, but automatic has its advantages too. What do you guys think? Also, are the automatic GT's much slower than the manual ones? Thanks

BTW it' s a 2005 GT
Old 08-06-2006, 06:29 PM
cashman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic or Stick Shift?

they aren't too much slower, but they're no fun... and you'll get made fun of by your car buddies.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:53 PM
jrplake06

i got my gt used and its a auto. i was a little bumed at first but i really love it and if you cant have fun with a kick a$$ car thats an auto then you are an unfun person!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

They tested the auto against the manual and it only came in like, .15 seconds behind the manual in stock form. I firmly believe that if you add a tune that changes your shift points like one from Brenspeed or any other performance shop and you will be much better off than a manual. I took my auto to the track last light for the first time since I got my tune and honestly, theres no way any human could ever shift as fast and smooth as my car shifts now.

If you plan on modifying your car and are really worried about performance at the track, Id go with an auto. Otherwise if you just want a car thats fun to drive and youre not that worried about the track then get your manual. JMO
Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

Its also important to note that the 5R55S Automatic is not your typical Auto trans. Its a 5 speed (4 speed + O/D) as most are 4 speed (3 gears + O/D). It's computer managed, and as was mentioned, the first three gears are in a very close ratio, this transmission will snap off shifts faster than humanly possible and keep the engine boiling while doing so. With a tune and a few boltons such as a higher stall, and more aggresive read end ratio this auto will definetly keep up with the manual if not better it in some circumstances. The only real draw back is that 4th and 5th gears are a little too deep, but they understandably needed to improve gas mileage. The auto is still a very fun car to drive, I originally wanted a five speed, but due to time constraints (my previous vehicle was stolen) I ended up with the auto, dont regret it at all, this auto trans really impressed me the first time I drove it.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
rnail
1st Gear Member

I got my new 2006 over the July 4th weekend. I went back and forth about it for a month. Went to three differnent dealerships driving different ones. I had a really nice sales guy let me drive both twice in a row before I chose my Auto. Like you said, the stick is fun as you can wind it up and hear the motor, but after a while in traffic, my knee and hip were aching. I also must return calls in the car and it is hard to shift while doing this.

I would never have purchased the last gen GT with the auto, since it was slow off the line and had no pull in 2nd. This new GT is MUCH improved. It really goes right through the gears. Unless your a wiz downshifting, the auto is much better at kicking down at speed. I have to admit it is really sorted out, no downshift lag and the 5 gears really keep the motor right in its sweet spot.

My only complaint is that it will not jump off the line with a chirp, even with the TCS dissengaged. It takes a brief second to wind up and then really pulls. From what I have read, if you get a custom tune, you can even improve on the throttle responce and get even firmer shift points, although I am pretty happy with mine the way it is.

Rich
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

My dead stock Auto GT 2006 convertible has no problem lighting the tires from a stop (18-inch), now that I have over 3000 miles on the clock...
CB
Old 08-06-2006, 08:02 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

auto GT is 13.8-13.9 stock in the 1/4, manual is 13.5 with a really good driver. i got 13.498 bone stock in my gt manual, i don't think any unmodded auto has come close to that.

get the manual, be a man :-D
Old 08-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

13.67 is the quickest 1/4 for a stock auto Ive seen, and Im still plenty of man without the manual. =)
Old 08-06-2006, 08:11 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

They tested the auto against the manual and it only came in like, .15 seconds behind the manual in stock form. I firmly believe that if you add a tune that changes your shift points like one from Brenspeed or any other performance shop and you will be much better off than a manual. I took my auto to the track last light for the first time since I got my tune and honestly, theres no way any human could ever shift as fast and smooth as my car shifts now.

If you plan on modifying your car and are really worried about performance at the track, Id go with an auto. Otherwise if you just want a car thats fun to drive and youre not that worried about the track then get your manual. JMO
There are times when I wish I had gone with the 5spd auto, driving my wifes Pony is a blast and it's an automatic. There was an automatic GT at the track with 4.30's and JLT CAI and he was running 13.3 in 90F heat with 88% humidity with no cool down between runs.

Just goes to prove that in any flavor the Mustang rocks!

Quick Reply: Automatic or Stick Shift?