Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine miss after highway downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine miss after highway downshift

Chit I don't want to worry about this stuff. Mine I think has done that once or twice but nothing for a long time.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:28 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

my car a few times when i have hopped on it revs like im backing off the pedal and stepping on it repeatedly - is this the problem you guys are talking about?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Could be, not exactly the same for every body. If it happened after you were criusing for a while at a set speed then I would say yes.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 AM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Go ahead and get the TSB fixed. The pump is under the back seat and easily accessible. It only took 45 mins to change it out and I was out the door. The bucking after a cruise when dropping it in third to lay the smack down on someone can get embarrassing or dangerous if someone is behind you say at a stoplight.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 AM
zorane

What is the fuel pump issue with the standing start? Does it seem like it wants to stall a bit, or buck once on take-offs? I get this sometimes on my 05 GT manual, if I don't rev it enough. If I don't pay strict attention, it will sometimes hesitate or buck once, and then it takes off.

I have downshifted on the highway from 5th to 3rd and gunned it, and have not noticed any problems there.

The last time I took it in for an oil change the service rep said that they would check for any needed TSB's, and replace if necessary. I saw nothing about any TSBs on the invoice. Is this something that they would list on the invoice, or just replace it and not say anything?

I guess I should just tell them I need it the next time I bring it in, and see what they say.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

I think I've had this issue a couple times. Where do I find the TSB to print it out?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

Well, I had my GT in for the "bogging" issue yesterday and, of course, after keeping the car for a day, they informed me that they could find nothing wrong. The service manager informed me that they took the car out for a "long ride" and still couldn't make the problem occur. I then very patiently reminded him that the problem is very random and ONLY occurs after a LONG SUSTAINED cruise, AND that it WILL happen again. AND, the next time it does, I will NOT be very pleasant when I walk through the door. If it does occur, I WILL be there DEMANDING the pump be changed OR my next stop will be the showroom on a busy Friday evening. This morning, after driving on the Parkway for 25 miles, all seems fine...so far. Time will tell. I will keep everyone informed about the outcome. I owned an electronic service business for 20 years before re-entering the broadcast field, so I KNOW all of the BS lines.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Dan64456
1st Gear Member

I hear ya about the BS lines brother. I work in IT, and I use them sometimes myself I'll admit. But I never let a real problem go unfixed. The ford dealer guys almost look at you with anger when you tell them that you know it is a problem. Almost tempting to just act dumb and walk out. I am wondering if I can bring my car to a different dealer that is close by to try them out?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Dan- you can go to any dealer you want and try them. I pass 3 dealers to go to one in particular because they are so cool. I say do it.

Zorane---From standing it mimics running out of gas, that kind of hesitation. remember it is not the same foe every body. Depends on how many air bubbles are being forced in.

MalibuJerry350---I dont know what there problem is! They NEED to just replace it. They should not even be trying to reproduce it. Bastards, what do they think you ment by random?? I say take it to another dealershio and tell them you want it replaced based on your problems and the TSB info. You may have to say you are closer to them now or something. That pisses me off when I hear them act like that towards you guys, bet they were alot nicer when you were ready to purchase. Great comback by the way about hitting the showroom on a friday.

RodeoFlyer---Sounds close. If I had to guess I would say yes.

Guys- those of you who are on the fence about getting this done should think about getting it done asap. As more and more Stangs around the country start to show this problem and go in for replacement I am willing to bet there will be a back order of some kind on the new pumps as more and more people get them replaced.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well my car everytime I downshift like the original thread and gun it will buck real hard for a second and then just fly. It only has 800 miles total but It really bucks down when I shifted. What should I tell my wife to say to the Dealership when she takes it in. I am currently back in the Desert so she will have to bring it to the dealer for me.

Quick Reply: Engine miss after highway downshift