Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Forged Internals Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
jdro

Default Forged Internals Question

Hi,

First off I'd like to start by saying I do not have a GT, yet. I am probably going to wait at least another year(probably two) as I don't want to bring my car up to school with me and trash it due to long lousy cold snowy long cold winters (buffalo, NY). I will be looking to get a used low mileage 05/06 GT and will use it as my DD - probably wont be too hard to find a low mileage car around here (queens/long island, NY). I know this is a long ways off but I am thinking I will get either the Saleen s/c with the 475hp upgrade or a KB, and I'd get longtubes. I have been reading this forum for a while and have heard that 425-450 hp is the 'magic number' when it comes to blowing up your engine. If I am going to be making 450+ hp and plan to use this car as a daily driver and keep it for a real long time, would it be worth it to get forged rods and pistons? I know the parts themselves are not that expensive, but I have absolutly no idea what kind of job this is to do. Any input on how much this would run me in parts & labor, as well as if it's even worth it, would be appreciated. Thanks

Now for kicks check out what I am driving. This should explain why I am so anxious to get another car
[IMG]local://upfiles/42793/C45A08989C8248A78A4F1DBC56CE94A9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Forged Internals Question

you may just want to get Shelby GT 500 and forget about it. . .

since you can throw money around like nothin'
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
jdro

I would have figured people would assume that I will be on a budget when I said I will be buying a used car. Considering I will probably only spend ~$12k on the car, another $4500 on the saleen kit (install myself) - that is still far less than what you all have spent on your new stangs. So if somehow you got that I have money to burn from my post you are mistaken
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdro

I would have figured people would assume that I will be on a budget when I said I will be buying a used car. Considering I will probably only spend ~$12k on the car, another $4500 on the saleen kit (install myself) - that is still far less than what you all have spent on your new stangs. So if somehow you got that I have money to burn from my post you are mistaken
no offense dude, if you find a used 05+ mustang GT for 12k within a year or two, then you are buying a:

1.) Wreck and Rebuild.
2.) V6 w/ high mileage.
3.) Imaginary stang in your mind.

12k will get you a 2000 GT w/ high mileage now. . .

and thats a 7 year old, older body style . . .

good luck with that dream you have
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

People are grumpy around here... and I think you hit a "troll" funny bone which amounts to "When I get out of middle school, I am going to make a million dollars selling ShoeTrees and build a stang to waste all you BIOTCHES" (paraphrase).

Is it worth it if you are going over 450RWHP? - yes, 1 expensive engine will be cheaper than blowing a cheap engine and then replacing it with the aformentioned expensive engine.

But the mods you describe are 450 crank HP... which will not require a built engine...

That magic number is to the wheels...

As for cost - well a built bottom end is $2500-$5000 depending on where you get it and what goodies you want...

I would not be surprised to see labor for that job at $2K+ but I am the wrong person to ask about labor costs, that is where I have my fun in the garage on the weekends...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

People are grumpy around here... and I think you hit a "troll" funny bone which amounts to "When I get out of middle school, I am going to make a million dollars selling ShoeTrees and build a stang to waste all you BIOTCHES" (paraphrase).
HA HA HA . . . my thoughts exactly . . . i didn't mean to come off as grumpy though, i really thought he should just get the GT500
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
jdro

Thanks cekim, I wasn't sure if the HP limit people were talking about was in reference to crank or rw.

About dreaming about $12k, that may be a stretch but if you check out on autotrader or cars.com you can find 3 year old GTs w/ 35k miles for around 15k. If I were to be buying lets say an 05 in 08 (which i said i probably would) I would think it would be $15k or lower. Considering the old GTs were more expensive than 05s and people will be hyped about getting the 09s I thought if I was patient I'd be able to find something for under 15k, maybe im dillusional but I'll find out the hard way. Still, at $15k with a blower is still not nearly as expensive as a brand new GT. As far as dreaming about finishing school and wasting people with my big bad stang, lol I could see how I came off like that but it's not the case. I hate driving around my 16 year old camry but I don't want to spend money on a nice car, take it to school for the next two winters and trash it, so I'd rather wait.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324
ORIGINAL: cekim
HA HA HA . . . my thoughts exactly . . . i didn't mean to come off as grumpy though, i really thought he should just get the GT500
Particularly if the ShoeTree things works out![sm=joke.gif]

The white elephant in the chat room is a funny thing... (that being that there is a broad spectrum of people coming to these boards with vastly different amounts of money to spend on their car and in different places in their lives...)
Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

have you been asleep for the past 2 years? the demand for the 05, 06, 07 stangs (especially the GT) is through the roof, and you can not possibly compare prices on the 05, 06, 07 GTs to the 04 and previous year models!!! when the 05's came out, for only the 2nd time in history it raised kelly blue book value on older models. not to mention used 05 GT's now are selling for $20k+, even with 50k on the odo. they are NOT going down anytime soon, and the demand is only pushing prices higher. i am sure a million people have the same idea as you to wait until the price comes down, so i will bet you any amount of money you will NOT find ANY non-wrecked, non-salvage, V8 GT (05, 06, OR 07) for under $18k in 2008. at least not in a driveable condition. if anything, the prices will tend to remain about $5k less than brand new for at least the next 5 years...this is the most popular car on the market right now, and i am guessing it stays that way. unless there is a huge increase in the price of oil, or unless something radically changes, you will not get one for < $18k used and that's without a blower. the 05s, 06s, and 07s cannot be compared to any other car in value since this car is an exception to nearly all value rules.

good luck...im guessing a 2005 mustang GT in 2008 will be worth $20k+, and that's with 50k-100k on the odo. just my prediction...i guarantee it will NOT decrease in value like the 04's and previous year models due to its immense popularity and the rarity of the GT model.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Thanks cekim, I wasn't sure if the HP limit people were talking about was in reference to crank or rw.

About dreaming about $12k, that may be a stretch but if you check out on autotrader or cars.com you can find 3 year old GTs w/ 35k miles for around 15k. If I were to be buying lets say an 05 in 08 (which i said i probably would) I would think it would be $15k or lower. Considering the old GTs were more expensive than 05s and people will be hyped about getting the 09s I thought if I was patient I'd be able to find something for under 15k, maybe im dillusional but I'll find out the hard way. Still, at $15k with a blower is still not nearly as expensive as a brand new GT. As far as dreaming about finishing school and wasting people with my big bad stang, lol I could see how I came off like that but it's not the case. I hate driving around my 16 year old camry but I don't want to spend money on a nice car, take it to school for the next two winters and trash it, so I'd rather wait.
well i hope that works out for ya . . .

but 2 years down the road. . . i doubt you will even remember having these thoughts . . .

Quick Reply: Forged Internals Question