Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl
If someone would be kind enough to detail the steps that would be great!! My Sonic 5spd GT will love you for it!!
Here is a tip - you are going to look like an idiot regardless - unless of course you do it in someone else's car - then you are just the life of the party - either way, don't worry about that...

But the "heal-toe" method is the best unless you have a line-lock. Depending on how your feet are shaped, experiment a bit, but basically get your toe on the gas and heal/arch on the brake...

Dump the clutch with your left foot and then move it over to the brake...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Wow, everyone has a different method!

I'm not all that big and I have no where near a size 14 shoe! More like an 8! And although I'm pretty flexible I don't think I can hit the brake and the gas at the same time with my foot turned out.

The only place I have done a burnout was at the Frank Hawley Drag School where I drove a dragster across the water and floored it before my run. That was one of the best days of my life!

So, anyway, I have a total stocker GT and don't have any line locks or anything like that. So it is just me the clutch and the gas pedal. I'd appreciate more details if possible. Not like I plan to go light them up right now or anything...just dying to know how to do it. MusicCityGT's way of putting it: "I just wind up to 3500-4000 and drop the clutch and floor it, grab second and then third and let the car move on its own." sounds the easiest and less abusive on the brakes and such.

Any more feedback out there?!

...and Randy....you're too far away from me!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smoke14me

I also blew an engine or two from trying to do John Force style burnouts in 4 cylinder cars.

Ha ha! John Force certainly was the master of the burn out! I think some other guys like Sclezi and Capps are running close seconds these days!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:38 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

MusicCityGT's way of putting it: "I just wind up to 3500-4000 and drop the clutch and floor it, grab second and then third and let the car move on its own." sounds the easiest and less abusive on the brakes and such.
A brake stand is reallya subtle form of "posing" IMHO... you are trying to make it look like you have so much torque that you can just spin the tires all day... alas in a stock stang you don't, so you have to pretend a little

Warming up the tires on the otherside of a water box is a different thing - for that use MusicCity's method...

Either that or add about 150HP and don't do anything to improve traction and you are all set...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:55 PM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smoke14me

Well it works good for me maybe because I have size 14 shoes. I dont know but I do know that I said it was bad for your clutch, I can say that I have boiled the tires on a 4 cylinder s10 for about 5 minutes straight and only rolled maybe 20 feet. This was when I was 18 that was ten years ago. However it has worked on every manual transmission vehicle I have ever owned. Also you do not keep holding the clutch in once you start to spin it is just resting on it for when you need to use it. You will have to shift up sometimes to keep the tires from gaining traction if the rpms and power drop you will hook which is a bad thing. And no just so you understand I do not ride the clutch the whole time. However I will ocassionaly use the clutch to keep the rpm's up in a gear. I however no longer do this in my cars because I got tired of buying tires and clutches. I also blew an engine or two from trying to do John Force style burnouts in 4 cylinder cars.
Either you are lying or you're confused. You heel toe with the brake and the accelerator. You said you heel-toe the clutch and the accelerator, which is friggin impossible since the brake is inbetween them. I don't care if you have size 20 feet, you can't hit the accelerator and the clutch with the same foot.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

Would someone like to describe for me the proper way to do a burn-out?
There are two basic kinds of burn outs, you can just rev the gas, dump the clutch and go forward with your tires spinning for a few seconds until you have to grab 2nd gear. Or you can do a break stand where the car is standing almost still with the tires spinning. The latter is more difficult and has more potential for dammaging your brakes if done improperly.

Try spinning the tires in a wet, abandonded parking lot first. You will need to understand how to control the car when the back end starts to fishtail. If you do a burn out in the street and your back end comes out, and you hit the curb or a tree, you will look like an idiot. Start with baby steps on wet pavement and get used to controlling your car when the back end starts to come around on you (see the drifting post also).
-howy
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nem

its called a trans brake.
tras breaks are for autos and ready for this surprise, its like a break on the tranny to keep it from launching

left foot on clutch, toe of right foot on break, heal of right on gas, rev, dump left foot, hold
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

gregariousgreg-- Sorry you are correct heal toe brake not clutch. I usually dont tell someone how to do it from behind a computer. I also hadnt slept much when I posted that just flew back to Kuwait from the states and hadnt slept to much. Thanks for the catch and yes you are correct.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Wow, everyone has a different method!

I'm not all that big and I have no where near a size 14 shoe! More like an 8! And although I'm pretty flexible I don't think I can hit the brake and the gas at the same time with my foot turned out.

The only place I have done a burnout was at the Frank Hawley Drag School where I drove a dragster across the water and floored it before my run. That was one of the best days of my life!

So, anyway, I have a total stocker GT and don't have any line locks or anything like that. So it is just me the clutch and the gas pedal. I'd appreciate more details if possible. Not like I plan to go light them up right now or anything...just dying to know how to do it. MusicCityGT's way of putting it: "I just wind up to 3500-4000 and drop the clutch and floor it, grab second and then third and let the car move on its own." sounds the easiest and less abusive on the brakes and such.

Any more feedback out there?!

...and Randy....you're too far away from me!
There are two different types of burning out. One is the way MusicCity explained, and the other is pretty much what everyone else is explaining.

MusicCity's way is basically revving the engine up to mid-RPMs and then dropping the clutch while punching the gas. Your tires will spin, and you will launch forward. Shifting is required if you decide to stay on it, and the more you stay on it the longer the chance of you sliding out of control once the tires grip.

Everyone else is basically the whole stand still of burnouts. You car barely moves forward (Depending how good your brakes are) and you just spin the tires. I can't seem to be able to get the whole heal/toe technique down so I can't really do it. Basically you want to rev the engine up while having the brake applied, and then remove the clutch out of the lineup. This really requires you were born with three feet, but yeah. The heal/toe technique is generally so you are using one foot for two pedals. I think if you held the brake down with your right foot, and had it on a diagonal so you could press the top of your foot into the gas (to desired RPM) then you would be able to easily let go of the clutch with your left foot and merge that with the two remaining pedals. I have yet to try this as I really have no where to do it, but doing things like this will definately lower the lifespan of more then a couple of things. Brakes, Clutch, Tires, etc.

Also, sometimes you don't pay attention but you could be revving into the redline, which isn't good for your engine obviously. This explains why people are "feathering" the clutch or switching into another gear. I've very little experience in doing it in a manual vehicle, but I'm pretty sure that's the general idea of how to.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

This whole thing sounds really complicated! Never tried it on my '06, but on my '88, I just tach it up to about 4 grand and dump the clutch. If it starts to actually move forward, I get out.

Quick Reply: How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...