Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are you happy with your S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default Are you happy with your S/C?

I just wondered how many of you thought it was worth the money you spent on a S/C. Are you happy with the performance difference?
I'm helping my brother install my Saleen S/C next Saturday and I want to be WOWED when it's all done and I take it out for the first time. He thinks it might take us all weekend to install it, because it's the only thing he's never done before to a car.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Salee25
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Are you happy with your S/C?

Let us know how it goes. Ive been wondering how difficult the installation is on the Saleen blower. Do you have pevious experience installing a supercharger?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

I just wondered how many of you thought it was worth the money you spent on a S/C. Are you happy with the performance difference?
I'm helping my brother install my Saleen S/C next Saturday and I want to be WOWED when it's all done and I take it out for the first time. He thinks it might take us all weekend to install it, because it's the only thing he's never done before to a car.
You will love it, I don't have one on my 06 but my 92 had h/i/c and a s-trim...you will love it, especially with that saleen style blower...it builds up power in the low and mid range but now the problem will become traction.
Be prepared to giggle like a school girl!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:12 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

For the best "WOW" factor on your brothers S/C have him get a good tune and put about 1000 miles on it before you ride in it.
Is it worth roughly 6K? What is it worth to you to A) know that there are far fewer cars out there that can smoke you. And B) Know your about to give the Mustang a pretty good name when some unsuspecting 'kid' (no matter their age) about poops themselves as you show them some tail lights. Keep the S/C a secert as long as you can because its WAY more fun that way.
We have NO noticable clues on the outside as to what is under the hood. (yes I would like some type of body kit but that would take away from the illusion of a sleeper) 05SDI
Old 08-14-2006, 11:57 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SDI
For the best "WOW" factor on your brothers S/C have him get a good tune and put about 1000 miles on it before you ride in it.
+1 (250-500 miles will do)

There are few mods that are as fun as this one, but with any mod (even more so when you dothe work yourself), the initial stages come with:

a. added anxiety - did you get everything in right?
b. break-in - I was surprised at how much it opened up after about 100 miles
c. random bugs that distract you...

Was it worth it? Every penny! It literally adds a whole new dimension to driving as you now have the ability to chose speed or brake in many cases where you only option was brake and wait before (please be careful with that - sometimes brake really is the right option!!!)

Also, don't forget to have fun putting in - that is a huge part of the fun IMO.

Estimates for getting it done seem to vary all over the place. I have rebuilt a few engines myself, so I had some practice on this kind of thing and my time worked out to:
1. teardown - ~4 hours (get everything off)
2. mechanical install - ~6 hours
3. electrical install - ~2-3 hours
4. random cleanup - (water/checking it over) - ~ 1 hour
5. run to the corner station for the !@#$ing alternator pulley - 1 hour
6. motor mount install - 1.5 hours

I am still putting time into it here and there for things like gauges, oil changes and it looks like my belt losened up too much after break-in (saw that coming - I guess I should have tried harder to get the 108" belt on...)
Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Is it worth roughly 6K? What is it worth to you to A) know that there are far fewer cars out there that can smoke you. And B) Know your about to give the Mustang a pretty good name when some unsuspecting 'kid' (no matter their age) about poops themselves as you show them some tail lights. Keep the S/C a secert as long as you can because its WAY more fun that way.
We have NO noticable clues on the outside as to what is under the hood. (yes I would like some type of body kit but that would take away from the illusion of a sleeper) 05SDI
Looks like he is putting it in his car 05SDI. His brother is just helping him install it.

Wally39,

Now I don't have the Saleen S/C yet, but I know that everytime I stomp on the gas and feel the difference my intake and custom tune made I totally forget about all the cash I dropped to get that feeling. That's from just 25HP, so I would imagine that your extra 125HP will really make you forget. Hell, you might even forget your name for a little bit. Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Did you send in your PCM to saleen to have them program it? Do they compensate for CAI's with there tune? What are some of the options other than sending it to them if you are installing it yourself?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
Did you send in your PCM to saleen to have them program it? Do they compensate for CAI's with there tune? What are some of the options other than sending it to them if you are installing it yourself?
I sent it in - wanted to limit varaibles and worry about custom tune later...

With the 475 kit, they compensate for the intake setup they provide, but there isn't any way when you send the PCM in to give them a description of your CAI and have them use that instead - they just have "the tune" for that setup and that is what they give you...

If you don't do that, you need to either:
a. do a mailorder from brenspeed/jdm or whoever you like
b. get it to a tuner right away...
c. whip out your dodeal pocket home dyno and goto work (ok, that isn't really an option)
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, got to get me one of those home dyno's. [sm=yeahsmile.gif][sm=pimp.gif]
tight squeeze in the garage though.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys! I won't have to send my pcm to them, because they are sending me the programmer with the tune already in it. I just had to tell them about my car and give them the code off the pcm (3 letters 1 number). I also got the air intake kit, belt, 39# injectors, smaller pulley for 6lb boost. He said it would take me to 410 rwhp or so. I'm 39 years old and this will be my first blown car. Can't wait!
Putting it in this coming weekend and will let you guys know how it turned out!

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your S/C?