Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What does a MAF do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default What does a MAF do?

What does it do And when should you upgrade to a larger one? With a CAI, or with a SC????? What are the advantages?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:36 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What does a MAF do?

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
What does it do And when should you upgrade to a larger one? With a CAI, or with a SC????? What are the advantages?
Mass Air Flow - It measures the quantity of air coming into the engine which is used to determine how much fuel to pump in...

Mythology varries on where it "saturates", but there is some indication that even with a 4PSI SC setup, you can saturate the stock MAF at redline...

CAI shouldn't have any issue and this is a binary sort of failure - either you are able to saturate it with the amount of air you pull in or you are not. Until you saturate it, there is no benifit to upgrading it...

If you do saturate it, the engine/pcm is not getting incorrect data on how much air is coming in and either:

a. just screws up and runs poorly
b. is designed to rely on kock sensors to pull back (sub-optimal to say the least).

So, if you get FI - then you/your tuner need definitely need to monitor MAF numbers to determine if it is saturating. If not, then no worries.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I kinda asked the same question because i am thinking of getting the Granatelli CAI and they sell one with a MAF and one without. So my question being, they say you do not need a tune, does this mean you need to buy the one with the MAF, or it doesnt matter.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim
Mass Air Flow - It measures the quantity of air coming into the engine which is used to determine how much fuel to pump in...

Mythology varries on where it "saturates", but there is some indication that even with a 4PSI SC setup, you can saturate the stock MAF at redline...

CAI shouldn't have any issue and this is a binary sort of failure - either you are able to saturate it with the amount of air you pull in or you are not. Until you saturate it, there is no benifit to upgrading it...

If you do saturate it, the engine/pcm is not getting incorrect data on how much air is coming in and either:

a. just screws up and runs poorly
b. is designed to rely on kock sensors to pull back (sub-optimal to say the least).

So, if you get FI - then you/your tuner need definitely need to monitor MAF numbers to determine if it is saturating. If not, then no worries.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm going to start PM'ing you when I have a question... [sm=hail.gif] ,JK, but you always seem to be the one to answer my questions.... Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: siggy14
I kinda asked the same question because i am thinking of getting the Granatelli CAI and they sell one with a MAF and one without. So my question being, they say you do not need a tune, does this mean you need to buy the one with the MAF, or it doesnt matter.
Anything that says "you don't need a tune" and messes with the quantity of air going in has 2 options for actually working:

1. it doesn't do anything - so no need to tune
2. It has an external "compensation" - that is it tries to fool the PCM by adding offset to the voltages - this is generally sub-optimal since it is a linear adjustment to a somewhat non-linear process.

This is just my opinion, but I would say that anything that messes with the airflow going in really needs a tune. The reason for going with something that replaces the stock MAF is entirely a function of whether you plan on using it in an application that can saturate it.

That means forced induction of some form.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm going to start PM'ing you when I have a question... [sm=hail.gif] ,JK, but you always seem to be the one to answer my questions.... Thanks again.
Can you tell I am procrastinating? I find this much more entertaining than getting any work done...

You can't PM me because then you would not get the chance to have people call me when I am wrong...