Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst billet shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Tjeppelin
1st Gear Member

Default Hurst billet shifter

Whats the difference between the billet and regular shifter? Can't seem to find any info on the search button
Old 08-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst billet shifter

billet just means it "chromeish", shiney. . . looks pretty. . . doesn't have anything to do with the functionality
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

billet means it's made out of high quality aluminum, or atleast aluminum. The billet shifter also has built in stops for each gear to prevent overshifting.

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

billet just means it "chromeish", shiney. . . looks pretty. . . doesn't have anything to do with the functionality
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

to be precise, billet means that, whatever the piece in question may be, it is machined from a solid block or "billet" of material, rather than poured into a casting.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

The Hurst Billet Shifter is much more comparable to the construction of the Steeda Tri-ax or Pro 5.0 shifter than the current Hurst Short Throw. If you're thinking about going with the Hurst shifter definitely wait on the billet version to start shipping. You'll probably notice that many places are already selling the Hurst Billet Shifter, but they are not actually shipping yet. The latest word is that they will start shipping August 25th, but the ship date has been pushed back at least 3 times that I know of.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

That's probably the correct definition, but you never hear it used with any material except aluminum.

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

to be precise, billet means that, whatever the piece in question may be, it is machined from a solid block or "billet" of material, rather than poured into a casting.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
LTHL PSI
1st Gear Member

Don't hold your breathe on the Billet Shifter from Hurst. We had several customers on a back order list waiting on one, well I called Hurst about 2 weeks ago to get an updated status and the part is now on engineering hold. Typically that means the part wont be out for a looong time or never at all.

Derek
Old 08-14-2006, 11:59 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTHL PSI

Don't hold your breathe on the Billet Shifter from Hurst. We had several customers on a back order list waiting on one, well I called Hurst about 2 weeks ago to get an updated status and the part is now on engineering hold. Typically that means the part wont be out for a looong time or never at all.

Derek
Thanks for the scoop Derek. That's kind of what I figured was going to happen. I'd really like to get one, but I may start looking at other options now.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

What if your looking for a shorter throw and stronger than stock shifter? There was some guy in here tearing apart the hurst shifter, saying the only shifter to get is the 5.0 Tri Ax, what is the best for daily driver/street racer?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

There's nothing 'wrong' with the Hurst shifter.
For daily driving and the occasional 'fun fest' it's plenty good.
It gets a bad rap because of it's stiff, notchy feel and lack of stop-bolts.
If you're going to be spending time at the track regularly, then you'd do well to spend the extra $100 on the tri-ax.
More postive feel and it has it's own stop-bolts to prevent overshifting.

Quick Reply: Hurst billet shifter