Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help on mods... Help!!! for 05 Gt Manual

Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default Help on mods... Help!!! for 05 Gt Manual

I bought this car used first of all, It already had Jba Short tube headers and I dont know if it has under drive pulleys installed. I need to know the stock diameter to see if they are stock or not. I am deciding on an intake since the S&B I had ordered which they advertise 25hp to the wheels lol, came out poorly, none of the parts would fit into each other and came missing the L bracket so I returned it. I am thinking of getting the BBK Air intake because it looks the same as the C&L and is roughly 100$ less. So then for the mods, I already purchased an sct xcalibrator 2, Bought Corsa Exhaust with X pipes which still havenĀ“t arrived[:@]. I bought locally a throttle body spacer, but when I removed the top 2 screws I see that the bottom 2 are not screws but bolts and the screw in inside the throttle body how do I remove that?. Also what other mods should I get??, is there anything left to do for the powertrain cheaply? Or is the next mods for me are 3.7 gears, strut braces and lower control arms. Thanks in advance for all the help guys

Att. Andrew
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help on mods... Help!!! for 05 Gt Manual

you have a 5 speed right? i would look at 4.30 gears, maybe 4.10s, but the t3650s final gear ratio is .62 and you will still turn 2800 rpms at 80 mph with 4.30s and a 27" tall tire
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

yes 5 speed manual, so other than the gears there is no performance gains left available under 1k?

Att. Andrew
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

well, you said maybe it has UDPs... some people also do electric water pump, you can upgrade to LT headers, aluminum driveshaft or aluminum flywheel. do some research on gears, 3.73 for auto and 4.10 for manual are the popular choices but there are arguements for different ratio's so you can see what fits you. and if your suspension is stock there would be alot of room for improvement there (panhard, lca, springs and struts, etc.). also you didn't mention tune at all. the members here are getting much better performance from running a custom tune rather than a canned tune. buy your intake from brenspeed, evo, or bamachips and get a custom tune for premium fuel.

there's alot more but i listed some of the more common mods i've run across since i've been a member here.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A few more thoughts to add onto what darkfact said:

Ditch the throttle body spacer. They don't do squat for our cars and they can mess up your throttle response.

I would buy your intake and tuner as a set from a known good tuning shop, such as Bamachips, Brenspeed, or Evolution. This is a lot better than shopping around and getting them both from the cheapest possible source. Why? Becasue the biggest key in the performance of these mods is to get a good tune. When you buy from a shop like this, you are getting much more than just the "cold hard parts". You are getting the EXPERTISE of a pro tuner. If you dig around and buy parts elsewhere, then you are going to be stuck with a mediocre tune. It might not even run right...and then you'll be stuck having to pay one of the pros to retune it for you, which is going to be a hassle to say the least. Do it right and get a combo kit from one of the above shops. Plus, these guys will update your tunes FOR FREE as you continue to mod your car.

There are many other mods you can consider:

Tires
Brakes
Appearance mods (bodywork, stripes, etc.)
Stereo
Suspension....

What do you want to do with the car??

Old 08-18-2006, 05:36 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

My car is tuned by the local sct dealer at the dyno so it is running good numbers. I think my next upgrade will be 4.10 gears and lower control arms but I am not sure which to get. Maybe a short shifter in the future. My friendĀ“s dad owns a huge body shop and I am talking them into making my car wide body for cheap I hope. Electric water pump is a big no no for daily driving, I rather keep it mechanical. Might get carbon fiber driveshaft but just trying to see whats out there right now. I get most of my parts from www.rpmoutlet.com which is a very nice site and they dyno almost every product they sell.

Att. Andrew
Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Does any1 have the diameter of the UDPĀ“s to see if mine are stock or not
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Well the first problem your gonna run into is the fact that shorty headers arent worth a damn.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

check my sig for my mods and time, if you want to know anything about them let me know
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

They do some difference not as much as longtubes would do, but atleast with the X-pipe and not an H pipe should give me some gains. Att. Andrew