Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Since I don't trust dealerships....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default Since I don't trust dealerships....

I was wondering if any of you might know what the scoop is on this issue I encountered today. Drove the usual 22 miles to work this morning and all was normal. Started the 'Stang to head out to lunch, and as I start cruising out the parking lot I noticed (1) my ABS light is on (2) a light on the right side of the dash is on that looks like a car with tire marks behind it, and (3) my TCS light is also lit up (off). I'm thinking WTF (car only has 6K miles) -- brakes are working fine, didn't slam on them to stop hard this morning or this afternoon, nothing unusual occurred, and I also didn't turn off the TCS.....but the lights all just popped on. Also odd was that I pressed the TCS button and the light wouldn't go off -- totally unresponsive. After driving about 5-10 minutes, all of a sudden all the lights went off and everthing went back to normal without me doing anything.

What gives? I don't want to bring the car to the dealership because they're no telling what kind of BS they're going to try feeding me, but now I'm wondering if my car has computer issues. Anyone have any thoughts?

I should also add that a few months ago, while driving on a road trip to San Fran, I also noticed the TCS light came on a few times without warning while the Shaker was switching discs. Could be a correlation, but I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 AM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Since I don't trust dealerships....

I had that happen to me about a couple of weeks back on the way to work. I was going around a corner and gave it a little extra gas and the road was kind of bumpy, I let off gas and noticed all the lights you mentioned on so I drove to work slow making sure everything was ok but lights stayed on, so I was going to check fuse at break but didn't have owners manual with me so I didn't know which was the correct fuse so at lunch I spun the tires a little thinking maybe it was the sensor and the light went off, so I think maybe sensor got rattled when I went around the corner with the bumps originally. I'm not sure why it happened, but I'm not too worried about it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

That happened to me once as well after I did a burnout and it wheel hopped bad. Light stayed on for a while, shut the car off, started it again and it was still wrecked, then I hit a couple bumps and it all started working fine again. This happened like 3 months ago and no problems with that since, you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

I think its a sensor for the TCS. . . there are a couple of threads on here with that in the convo. . . u might want to search for'em
Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

Thanks for the input guys. Gives me a little peace of mind that it's hopefully nothing big. I'll look around for more threads on TCS.

THANKS!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:02 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

My shaker 500 system went completely haywire one day...none of the controls worked, it wouldn't read discs...NOTHING. Turned the car off and then back on and it was fine. Anyone else have that problem?