Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tsb - moan/groan rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default tsb - moan/groan rear differential

ok, so i called my local ford dealership (joe madden ford in downer's grove, il) two days ago and made an appt. to bring in my car for a moaning/groaning noise i noticed in the past week that was coming from the rear of the car during tight turns, that seemed to be getting worse. i probably wouldn't have even noticed the noise had i not read the TSB on this site, but when i listened carefully at slow speeds during tight turns i could hear it but only after highway driving. i told the guy on the phone that i knew there was a tsb for this, but he tried to tell me that it's probably my tires, or the fact my car is new, etc. that is causing the squeaking but to bring it in and they'd double check. scheduled it to be brought in today at 12:30pm.

so, i brought in my car at 12:30pm today on my lunch break. this time i didn't mention anything about the TSB to the service guy, but described my problem in the exact same way as listed in the TSB. 3:30pm i get a call, and they told me there was a TSB for this issue and that i was right, the noise was coming from the rear differential/limited slip and that they put in a new clutch pack, etc. grand total: $0. time from drop off to pick up: 3 hours. i also had my oil changed for $30 even though the car is only two weeks old since i am already over 2,000 miles, and if i did it myself i'd spend at least $20 on supplies. they kept trying to tell me i didn't need to change it yet and that i should wait until 5k. i told them to just change it anyway, so they did.

all in all, i thought this was going to be a huge hassle since i've heard the clutch packs are on national backorder, but it turned out much better than expected. even though my noise was slight, and not very noticeable, i'll be damned if i'm not going to take advantage of my warranty and fix it. and, on top of that i got a free wash and wax. my rear is quiet as can be now, and the car drives flawlessly and other than the roar of the engine, is quiet as can be. i am extremely happy i had this done, and i advise ALL of you to have this done ASAP even if it is only a minor squeak like mine, since i could tell mine was getting progressively worse. make sure you drive the car on the highway for a good 15min first, though, and then immediately get off and make slow, super sharp turns to see if you hear any squealing. again, im glad this is done and my car now drives like i expected it to - absolutely perfectly. plus i finally did my first oil change; which i advise all of you to do before the recommended 5,000 miles as they showed me my oil and it had particles in it that i could see with my naked eye. that would NOT have been good for the engine and could've caused problems.

lastly, all 05-06 owners need to check for this - it seems like a VERY common issue that most people just don't seem to take the effort to fix. i personally think it affects ALL 05s and 06s (mfg date of my car: 6/10/06) and that only a small percentage of people even notice this and get it fixed since i wouldn't have noticed had i not checked specifically for it. i couldn't hear squealing with the windows up or the radio on, and it was ONLY after highway driving and then only during SLOW, super tight turns. so, all of you should check for this ASAP and get it fixed!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:36 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: tsb - moan/groan rear differential

I have loud mouths and can't hear anything but my exhaust. I'ts the only time i wish my car was quiet, so I could listen to the differential.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

yeah...just take a slow turn at idle speed with the wheel all the way turned and the windows down and you should be able to hear it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:46 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I totally agree, take the time to check for the noise, almost sounds like a power steering pump moan. My clutch packs were changed several weeks ago, the groan is gone, I also had them replace my fuel pump, another problem I didn't realize I a recent road trip that required hours of highway driving. It might be my imagination but the fuel pump seems to have helped the way the car drives, it seems a little more peppy. Probably my imagination......
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: CDW63

I totally agree, take the time to check for the noise, almost sounds like a power steering pump moan. My clutch packs were changed several weeks ago, the groan is gone, I also had them replace my fuel pump, another problem I didn't realize I a recent road trip that required hours of highway driving. It might be my imagination but the fuel pump seems to have helped the way the car drives, it seems a little more peppy. Probably my imagination......
Do you guys know whether or not this is just a problem for the manuals or is it also common in the autos? I haven't heard anything like that, but I also haven't tried to check for it. Lemme know please.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

I just dropped mine off for this one and the hesitation after cruise issue. They told me they have already done several of the clutch pack replacements, so they are keeping a constant supply of the parts on hand. I may have to wait a bit for the new fuel pumps though.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Yep, took mine in the other day to get the clutchpaks replaced ......all better!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 AM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

Have mine in getting the fuel pump and the clutch pack kit installed as we speak.. Waited 3 weeks.. Can't wait to get it out.. Had them also install Homelink Mirror, Steeda Pedals, Saleen Short Throw adapter with Steeda poly bushings, Rousch Louvers, etc.. etc.. Fix everything! Took it to the damn Spa!!

Ready for the test drive.. Hope it goes well.. If not, doing a 180 in the middle of the road and taking it back!!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:06 AM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

For the clutchpacks the dealer replaced after a short test drive thru the dealer parking lot to verify. For the fuel pump, I gave them my vin # over the phone, the service manager reserved the last fuel pump they had for my car and they installed it the next day. It makes a little whine (barely audible), sounds sorta cool, the car also seems a little more responsive after the new fuel pump was installed.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 PM
firemaker117

I have SLP Loudmouths and I just idled around in a circle and could hear it loud and clear, my car goes in Wednesday.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28949/6956414B70E34BE887C430116F511770.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: tsb - moan/groan rear differential