Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Launching

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Your car came with it's own ATM machine? LOL... Couldn't resist. Manual, First drop the tire pressure. try around 25 and go from there. Stage SHALLOW. That will improve your 60"time. Hold it at about 2000 rpm's to start with and launch as soon as the last amber goes bright. Don't just side step the clutch. Try to slip the clutch slightly. You don't want a lot of spin, but you don't want to bog either. You will have to play with the launch rpm and tire pressure for track conditions. Practice, practice, practice.
Musiccity,
I have a question, when you say Shallow, do you mean just as the second stage light comes on or move forward after the second stage light comes on ?? I am confused on this term.

Click my Sig to see my first time Drag Racing...
Old 08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

if you have drang radials, just roll them over before race and then rev the car upto 1500-2000rpm and dump the clutch.. no need to slip the clutch because drag radials will give you a good launch.. but if you got street tires, rev the sar the same amount of RPM and then slip the clutch a little (not too much) the car will not spin too much and launch fast once the car moves a little drop the clutch all the way.

l have tried on my mustang and it works good (never raced at the track thoug) with drag radials, l launched an LS1, l was gonna break my neck!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Your car came with it's own ATM machine? LOL... Couldn't resist. Manual, First drop the tire pressure. try around 25 and go from there. Stage SHALLOW. That will improve your 60"time. Hold it at about 2000 rpm's to start with and launch as soon as the last amber goes bright. Don't just side step the clutch. Try to slip the clutch slightly. You don't want a lot of spin, but you don't want to bog either. You will have to play with the launch rpm and tire pressure for track conditions. Practice, practice, practice.
Musiccity,
I have a question, when you say Shallow, do you mean just as the second stage light comes on or move forward after the second stage light comes on ?? I am confused on this term.

Click my Sig to see my first time Drag Racing...
Staging shallow is when you just barely light the second stage light. Your car will then have a little speed before you trip the timer in turn reducing the 60' time. Staging deep is just the opposite. You roll deep into the second stage light without going far enough to turn off the first stage light. On a pro tree, deep is good. On a bracket tree, shallow is good for street class.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

if you have drang radials, just roll them over before race and then rev the car upto 1500-2000rpm and dump the clutch.. no need to slip the clutch because drag radials will give you a good launch.. but if you got street tires, rev the sar the same amount of RPM and then slip the clutch a little (not too much) the car will not spin too much and launch fast once the car moves a little drop the clutch all the way.

l have tried on my mustang and it works good (never raced at the track thoug) with drag radials, l launched an LS1, l was gonna break my neck!
if you really do get drag radials, you will want to roll them once in the wet box, roll out of the wet box, then do a burnout till you white smoke them. . .

then you can rev to 4500 and nearly dump it, by nearly dump, i mean you can let it out really quick and hammer on the throttle. . .

if you dump at only 2500, you will bog and lose time . . . bogging is bad

if you don't have drag radials, you will have to work the art of slipping the clutch, this consists of keeping the RPM's high in the power band, like 3500 to 4000, and hitting the sweet spot in the clutch and keeping the rearend sunk down by coming off the clutch and going into the gas. . .

all i can say is this takes practice . . . and once you get it, you will own most cars at takeoff, except AWD of course