Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

ORIGINAL: CDW63

I have varied the places I have bought gas from, but all are name brand stations (Chevron, Mobil, Gulf), so I don't believe that is the issue and thanks to all for the feedback on the similarities between flashing using either SCT or predator.

In reply to michael48985: I really like the AEM CAI, although I don't have anything other than the stock airbox to compare it to. It gives the engine/muffler sound a very nice growl that isn't present with the stock airbox.

Once the weather cools a bit (mid Oct) I will pursue getting a custom tune and let you all know how the car does.
See if retarding the timing a degree or 2 in the 4K-7K rpm range helps. The engine should lose only a few hp by doing this.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Average dyno tuning is $150 hour. Brenspeed and evolution are 'okay' but certainly not the best tuner choices around. JDM for one will supply you a canned tune for the sct that will flat out outperform both brenspeed and evolution.

Reflashing requires nothing but plugging in the handlheld for predator and sct.

Any pinging at all is a very bad sign. I would flash it back to stock asap until you can get it back on the dyno. Could be just some bad gas but it's not worth your motor to take that chance. Could be something minor or major but I would reflash it back to stock for now until you know for sure. Do you have a dyno for your tune now? How was the a/f?
How would u know if this 'JDM' would outperform brenspeed or evolution??? Have you had them both??? Have you seen a dyno comparison??? Are you selling this JDM stuff??

I speak from experience, i know for a fact the brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips tunes are ths Shizznit . . . i have never heard of this 'JDM' for our cars, and I honestly don't think it would outperform any of the three above.
Come on - if you have never heard of JDM than what experience do you have??? They are 10X the size company of brenspeed and evolution. Hate to break it to you but the fact you are only on this site is the reason you don't know better. Not one single person over 460 rwhp is using brenspeed or evolution...period. They are a great company for the average joe looking for a nice mild street tune. I know brent and fred and for what they do they are great but ask them yourself about JDM and see what they say...lol

The JDM cars are at just about every single FFW and NMRA event. Please do a little research on them before you make a statement about them.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

The only place i have heard of JDM is for tuning the saleen superchargers. . . how does that make them better at a CAI, can they pull timing better, come on dude. . . are you serious???
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Wow, a few minutes ago you never heard of them and after a quick search on the internet you instantly know they are famous for saleen tuning...LOL Come on, what a joke. Yes, they are considered the best saleen s/c tuners in the country but you think that's all they know how to do?

Brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips are not considered to be the best at ANYTHING in the country. Like I said, they don't even have PERSONAL cars making any kind of impact or turning heads at FFW events.

Yes, for average joes like you who just want a quick canned tune, all 3 are great companies and offer good canned tunes that will add performance and driveablility to your ride. But please don't put them in the major leagues cause they are nowwhere in the ballpark. They are the little league and they know it.

But consider this - even if you just want a little performance - would you rather have the local high school coach working on your stuff or a world class professional athlete? (Cause that's the difference between brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips compared to companies like JDM, Livernois, Boss 33O racing, ST Motorsports, JPC Racing, Powerhouse, etc, etc.)

BTW - Pulling timing would make your car SLOWER ace!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

42 posts...troll much? If you try to be condescending in these forums, you are going to get flamed.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Wow, a few minutes ago you never heard of them and after a quick search on the internet you instantly know they are famous for saleen tuning...LOL Come on, what a joke. Yes, they are considered the best saleen s/c tuners in the country but you think that's all they know how to do?

Brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips are not considered to be the best at ANYTHING in the country. Like I said, they don't even have PERSONAL cars making any kind of impact or turning heads at FFW events.

Yes, for average joes like you who just want a quick canned tune, all 3 are great companies and offer good canned tunes that will add performance and driveablility to your ride. But please don't put them in the major leagues cause they are nowwhere in the ballpark. They are the little league and they know it.

But consider this - even if you just want a little performance - would you rather have the local high school coach working on your stuff or a world class professional athlete? (Cause that's the difference between brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips compared to companies like JDM, Livernois, Boss 33O racing, ST Motorsports, JPC Racing, Powerhouse, etc, etc.)

BTW - Pulling timing would make your car SLOWER ace!
you didn't catch that sarcasm did ya?? figures. . .

yes i had heard of them, but not with the C&L, and that is what we are all talking about, get your head in the game kid

you get the C&L w/ the JDM tune, and i will bust your a$$ over and over at the track my friend, with just the C&L and brenspeed tune. . . believe that

whats this high school world class crap. . . i don't need to get a college professor to tell me what 2+2 is. . . NO, tuning these cars is not rocket science and NO, it does not have something hidden or special about it that some big league company can figure out and small companies could not figure it out. . .

with that said, i knew about the JDM ppl doing the saleen chargers, but you know what, i don't know anyone using them for the C&L . . . and that is what we were all talking about. . . maybe if I had a built longblock with a twin screw whipple supercharger, LTH's, and full exhaust. . . then i might care about this JDM, but you know what, they apparently aren't appealing to the bolt-on crowd because all they advertise in MM&FF is the saleen kit.

I'm not building a racecar kid . . . don't give me this knowitall crap newb
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

NO, tuning these cars is not rocket science and NO, it does not have something hidden or special about it that some big league company can figure out and small companies could not figure it out. . .
ROFLMAO.....Thanks..I needed that - made my day.

That is hands down the DUMBEST statement I have ever heard on any mustang forum board. The tune is EVERYTHING, slick.

Yeah, tuning these cars is nothing to it. Why aren't you doing yours yourself??? Where's your dyno? What are you making with your car?

Everyone jumps on me like a troll simply cause I call you fools out when you make a stupid comment. Don't try to play witty now with your timing comment - you know darn well you were serious...

Everything about mods for these cars isn't rocket science. Any moron can install a turbo or s/c or put in a N20 kit. The TUNE IS THE ROCKET SCIENCE!!

Better stick to debating which has more power - a 350Z or GT...LOL cause you're out of your league here...

By all means prove me wrong - let's see a dyno sheet from your awesome tune you have...

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I will say JDM has a nice set of heads plus they were the first guys I can think of to swap a Ford GT motor into a Lightning.

But seriously fanboy, ask yourself would you talk to people(strangers at that) the way you post about on here if we were at the track or hanging out at some lot?

BTW: My high school track coach was one of the coaches for the 96 olympics in Sydney, Austrailia. 17 State championships in 20 years gets you noticed.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I don’t know which vendor has the best tunes for the Mustangs as I have no experience with any of them when it comes to Mustangs. I recently sold my 2003 Lightning to purchase my 06 GT.

I can say that JDM is huge when it comes to Lightning’s and have many of them running in the 10’s which are also daily drivers. Of course those are all JDM built motors and not stock internals.

I know they have been into Mustangs for a while now as the market for Lightning’s is dieing out due to no new Lightning’s for the foreseeable future. However, as I have stated, that does not mean JDM is better then the other tuners.

My own personal opinion would be to go with who has been tuning Mustangs the longest and if you have the money see if another vendor can do any better like JDM. I trust experience and customer service first before a particular name which means if I was to tune my Mustang JDM might not be the first vendor I visited I’d have to do some serious research first but that’s just the **** side of me…
Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

NO, tuning these cars is not rocket science and NO, it does not have something hidden or special about it that some big league company can figure out and small companies could not figure it out. . .
ROFLMAO.....Thanks..I needed that - made my day.

That is hands down the DUMBEST statement I have ever heard on any mustang forum board. The tune is EVERYTHING, slick.

Yeah, tuning these cars is nothing to it. Why aren't you doing yours yourself??? Where's your dyno? What are you making with your car?

Everyone jumps on me like a troll simply cause I call you fools out when you make a stupid comment. Don't try to play witty now with your timing comment - you know darn well you were serious...

Everything about mods for these cars isn't rocket science. Any moron can install a turbo or s/c or put in a N20 kit. The TUNE IS THE ROCKET SCIENCE!!

Better stick to debating which has more power - a 350Z or GT...LOL cause you're out of your league here...

By all means prove me wrong - let's see a dyno sheet from your awesome tune you have...

Its not my fault you can't catch sarcasm, it just makes you look stupid. . .

and you are hands down the dumbest KID i have ever argued with

WHERE THE FRIG did I take anything away from tuning?!?!? CAN YOU READ?!?!? All i said was its not really hard to do. . .

do you know anything about this??? have you seen it done?? do you even have a mustang???NO are you old enough to drive??? probobly not

well you are an expert arn't ya . . . you sound like you know a lot about this subject . . .

well since i do have a an Xcal2 and do know how to pull timing for my nitrous setup, i ask you this, what DO you know about this?

i could go into detail on how to tune a car, because i have seen it done, i know what it takes, i know about this, u on the other hand, act like you ride a bike to middle school, maybe your "7th grader brain" doesn't understand it but i do. . . thats why any racing shop with a dyno and a A/F meter can tune a car(having the correct software of course). . . jackass

and about my statement being dumb?!?!? did i say the tune wasn't everything?!?!? are you smoking something?!?! I never said it wasn't important or neccessary?!?! WTF

out of my league?!?! pleazz. . . all you are saying is that JDM is the awesome and you have wet dreams about at night . . . what are you? 12

Quick Reply: SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?