Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

I quoted your statement and you specificallly said tuning was no big deal. Don't get mad cause I call you on your stupidity. Now that you set yourself up perfectly for me to expose you I can ask....

How are you pulling the timing on your N20 set-up? What is the timing before the N20 engages? What is it after? What rpm band are you squeezing in? How are you squeezing? (windowed or manually)

Most important, how is your N20 system set-up on your car? Is it a dry shot direct manifold injected or is it just a basic Zex kit to the rails?

Better look up your answers thoroughly and ask your buddies dipsheet, cause I actually know quite a bit about nitrous cars...

BTW - I have a 150 shot directed injected custom NOS system on top of an 18 psi vortech. I have it windowed on an MSD E-switch for 3200-5300 rpm. I use it for the down low torque gains while the s/c is building boost and for the launch torque.

PS - If you're trying to make a point to someone you disagree with you should use facts, not disguise it in sarcasm. That's just an easy way for you to backpedal later and use the old "I was kidding' BS.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

I quoted your statement and you specificallly said tuning was no big deal. Don't get mad cause I call you on your stupidity. Now that you set yourself up perfectly for me to expose you I can ask....

How are you pulling the timing on your N20 set-up? What is the timing before the N20 engages? What is it after? What rpm band are you squeezing in? How are you squeezing? (windowed or manually)

Most important, how is your N20 system set-up on your car? Is it a dry shot direct manifold injected or is it just a basic Zex kit to the rails?

Better look up your answers thoroughly and ask your buddies dipsheet, cause I actually know quite a bit about nitrous cars...

BTW - I have a 150 shot directed injected custom NOS system on top of an 18 psi vortech. I have it windowed on an MSD E-switch for 3200-5300 rpm. I use it for the down low torque gains while the s/c is building boost and for the launch torque.

PS - If you're trying to make a point to someone you disagree with you should use facts, not disguise it in sarcasm. That's just an easy way for you to backpedal later and use the old "I was kidding' BS.
its nice how you answer none of my questions and expect me to answer yours. . . but i will anyway

first thing. . . "no big deal" on how hard it is to do. . . not how important it is

second thing. . . i can pull the timing back on the 93 octane tune i already have by uploading the 87 tune, leaving the 93 octane fuel in, retard the timing 1 degree for each rpm range, and only run a 75 shot until i can get a richened nitrous tune since i don't have the software to program the Xcal2's. . .

The system i am getting is the Zex kit, specifically made for our cars, its a wet kit, that comes with everything needed, throttle position sensor for WOT manually controlled, "active fuel control" for safe A/F, mounting brackets, etc.

it connects 6 inches in front of TB. . .

any thing else you need to know about nitrous, try here, https://mustangforums.com/m_1355151/tm.htm
you obviously need to read it newb . . .

i am very happy you have a nitrous setup. . . i bet you did none of that yourself. . . what car is that on? ohhh you don't have one, my bad. . .

"i was kidding", i never said that, i did use obvious sarcasm by saying "pull timing" instead of "advance timing", i even said come on dude. . . and you still didn't catch it and try to insult my intelligence, to most ppl, "pulling timing" is not hard to figure out even if you don't know anything about nitrous, don't insult me like that. . . you've already lost most of your credibility. . .

i figured a 12 year old would catch that but apparently not, u must have just learned these terms and think your smart now, and anyone who uses it sacastically is gonna be "dumb" and not know what it is . . .

another thing, u better watch who you call stupid. . .
Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

As far as tuning devices go, both the Diablosport and the SCT do the exact same thing. They are just a tool for uploading a file to the car's computer. If you like, you can think of them like a "disc drive" in your computer....the "handheld tuner" just stores files and then lets you copy them to your computer.

That being said, one isn't better than the other. Aside from some minor differences (that aren't relevant to tune quality) they are identical. The "tunes" that you "install" with these devices are just mathematical tables that control fuel injection and ignition timing (and a few other variables). Any tune you can load with the Diablosport you can do on the SCT, and vice versa.

Is the "default" SCT tune better than the default Diablosport tune? Maybe. It depends on the individual application. But, one fact remains--you don't need to buy a new tuner.

I would contact a well known tuning shop like Brenspeed, Bamachips, Evolution, and so on. Tell them what mods you've got on your car and get their tune file. That isn't as good as a real dyno tune, but it will be a lot better than the "default" SCT tune, and it should be much less expensive.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 AM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl,

I will check around for the semi custom tune options, does Evolution, bamachips or brenspeed offer preadtor programs? Also the pinging I have heard is only in the higher rpm range, it is very hard to hear (faint), sounds like pebbles rolling on a metal sheet. Thanks for the input.......
Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CDW63

CrazyAl,

I will check around for the semi custom tune options, does Evolution, bamachips or brenspeed offer preadtor programs? Also the pinging I have heard is only in the higher rpm range, it is very hard to hear (faint), sounds like pebbles rolling on a metal sheet. Thanks for the input.......
Retard the timing by 1 degree in the 4K-7K rpm range, and see if that helps.