Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yes another U/D Pully Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Yes another U/D Pully Question.

I was about to pull the trigger on U/D pulleys.

1) Is there any difference in brands other than name stamped on them?

2) Also what is the real RWHP #'s I can expect with my 06 5-speed?
Heard 10 HP (which seems worth it) or 3-4(which make me double think this)
Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Yes another U/D Pully Question.

Unfortunatly there is no body on this site who will be able to answer your hp question as fact UNLESS they have before and after install Dyno numbers. Every thing that you will see stated from me or anyone else will only be opinion or something they read someplace or some body else told them UNLESS, they can produce the spec sheets to back it up. Doubt you will ever see anyone with the sheets posted on this or 90% of any mod install. Check around here at prior post on any mod, the sheets are rarely posted.

If I had to guess I would say hp is between 5 and 10. Maybe you will be the first to Dyno before and after?? I still say its worth it for the little work and cost. Brands are basically the same "I have heard" lol. I have Steeda. No probs of anykind with them.
One other thing, take a look at those who will bash udp's and 95% of them dont have them or never did. I have noticed on this site that people will bash a product more when they dont have it then stating fact from having them. Its like they hate on something just because they did not want to get it and they dont want someone else to get it either?? Always thought that was very strang as it happens alot.

Good luck on what ever you deside
Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

well. . . i went with the moto blue underdrives from www.rpmoutlet.com and they had them dyno tested at 8 rwhp, the old butt dyno approves and agrees with the numbers. . . i've heard good results from the steeda underdrives as well

either set will do about the same, i went with the motoblue because they have a balancer that has less friction and uses the stock belt very nicely. . . i don't know about the steeda, im sure it uses stock belt too, i have no experience with steeda UDP's, someone that has them will tell you about them
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

The guy that owns the shop that installed my pullies also has them on his '05 manual. He saw 9 hp on his car. Mine was not dynoed before and after.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have installed 2 sets of Steedas on 2 of my Stangs ('97 & 2000), no problem with either install. Steedas also have the balancer. From what I have read-stay away from the piggyback type. I'm planning to install Steedas on my '06 when the warranty is about up.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

I have seen that some pulleys are reduced by 15, 18 and even 25%. I would think that the 25% would give you better #'s. On the other hand, all pulleys may be the same and it's just the stores way of getting you to buy from them. Take RPM Outlet, they are saying that the Motoblue H.O pulley are 25%. I have seen on other web sites that Roush and Steeda pulleys are at 18%.

So what do you think? Are all pulleys the same or do we need to look for the most reduction?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 PM
HiPo65

I have seen other posts on this site that state their cars with UDP's have less efficient A/C.
So maybe more reduction is not better.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

i don't have pullies and i put down 286rwhp with an intake/tune. my tuner said he usually sees ~295rwhp on cars with pullies, so that implies another 9-10rwhp from pullies, consistent with what people generally claim.

basically, with intake/pullies/tune/charge motion delete/tune you should get a little over 300rwhp
Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

=+1
ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Unfortunatly there is no body on this site who will be able to answer your hp question as fact UNLESS they have before and after install Dyno numbers. Every thing that you will see stated from me or anyone else will only be opinion or something they read someplace or some body else told them UNLESS, they can produce the spec sheets to back it up. Doubt you will ever see anyone with the sheets posted on this or 90% of any mod install. Check around here at prior post on any mod, the sheets are rarely posted.

If I had to guess I would say hp is between 5 and 10. Maybe you will be the first to Dyno before and after?? I still say its worth it for the little work and cost. Brands are basically the same "I have heard" lol. I have Steeda. No probs of anykind with them.
One other thing, take a look at those who will bash udp's and 95% of them dont have them or never did. I have noticed on this site that people will bash a product more when they dont have it then stating fact from having them. Its like they hate on something just because they did not want to get it and they dont want someone else to get it either?? Always thought that was very strang as it happens alot.

Good luck on what ever you deside
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

-1 to you UDP fans, you DEFINATELY aren't going to get 9-10 rwhp off UDP's I don't know who you are kidding. you are talking like 4-5rwhp and thats ONLY during cooler temperatures.

IMHO don't waste your hard earned money on UDP's, you aren't going to gain ****. Realize you only get the 4-5rwhp IF it is during cooler temperatures, ultimately meaning the power isn't even always there...

Good luck with your decision...

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Yes another U/D Pully Question.