Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Damn it to Hell, I'm going crazy !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:22 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Damn it to Hell, I'm going crazy !!

Also, if the pinging is happening in a specific rpm range, then retard the timing a degree or 2 just in that range, e.g., 4K-7K rpm.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

someone tell me if I take out timing on the tune I just do -2 on the spark down the rpm line and then hit select right?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I hate it when you forget to pull the emergency brake and it goes rolling away. I would hate to see your car get totalled and you are forced to buy a new one. I just hate that, wish I could think of a way to get you out that car. If only I could think of something,,,,,

I will keep trying..
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Dave from Brenspeed called today and we made -2 spark changes to the 2000-4000 and 4000 - 8000 today. Will drive it tomorrow to work see how she pans out. Would have drove it tonight but it rained. No sense of getting water spots
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

tag
Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Well I received my car as a birthday present back in November of 2004 and I have been freaking crazy since. I just received a new improved 93 octane tune the other day and it makes my car run like a ****ing race car but it always has to have a ping. I have only a little ping at times but it's a ping and I have been told not to keep one. So Brent and I make a parm. tune and it doesn't ping but it no longer picks up buildings and walks underneath them. I'm so discouraged because I have been told I'm one of the rare cars that doesn't fit the tune perfectly, since most of our cars are suppose to be the same.

My question is this I'm getting no check engine light and it is running like motor I like should I just ingore the ping or go back to the tune that is o.k. but not as fast. I'm about ready to sell this car because I have had nothing but problems with going conservative with the tunes because of this damn too much timing my car that runs with these tunes for the CAIs'.
I too have one of those "special" cars that don't work well with a canned tune. I had to have a custom tune to stop heavy pinging, but it was not perfect. If still pings on occasion. I think that the only solution for you is to get a dyno tune and get a tune specific for your car. It could be that the early mustangs were built differently.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:10 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

There is always the possibiliy that your car has a slighly higher compression ratio in one of your cylinders out of the factory than other cars.. If you have a higher compression ratio you won't be able to run as advanced timing. Run a compression test on your block and post your numbers, i'ld be curious to know what you come back with.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

what is considered normal compression for most 05-06 mustangs?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:43 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

what is considered normal compression for most 05-06 mustangs?
Ford has our stock compression ratio listed at 9.8:1, but there will always be some degree of variation depending on everything from head gasket thickness, to how much they shaved the heads/block.

When i recommended a compression test I actually surgested him to take a pressure gauge that goes into the spark plug hole, crank the engine w/the ignition disconnected a couple of times for each cylinder. See what the variations are. I'ld expect to see atleast 1 cylinder higher than the rest.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

.... Id say just pay the 100-150 bucks to get a custom dyno tune... that way it is tuned for YOUR car, not just a car LIKE yours. The tuner custom tunes are fine for most of us but again, not every car is the same.. Id definately shell out the money to custom tune the car before I considered anything rash. Youll end up with a better more personalized tune, and youll also pick up a few hp and lose the spark knock.

Quick Reply: Damn it to Hell, I'm going crazy !!