Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bassanis may go - need exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Bassanis may go - need exhaust suggestions

Okay, so I've had the Bassani SS axle-backs for awhile now and I just can't decide whether I like them all that much. They just kind of sound drony to me. Almost dare I say it ricey, but very deep rice. I don't know if I am just being picky, but I have heard some LS1s and even some new edge mustangs rolling by and I have to admit I felt like they put me to shame. Now they probably all have headers (I am holding off on this until warranty is up), but I would like to change up my exhaust, in search of that perfect sound. There is something missing with these Bassani's, not quite sure what it is, the sound just seems kind of dull and droney, without a lot of rumbly depth to it. I have especially noticed this if I am in a car behind the car with the windows roll up. All you hear is this blah droney sound. I think at low RPMs these sound incredible, but when you get higher it just kind of loses it for me.

So...I am looking for other suggestions for exhaust. This is how I am feeling based on research.

SLPs/Mac = way too loud for me
Corsas/Regular Borlas = way too quiet, don't like the sound of the Corsas all that much
Magnaflow/Flowmasters = higher pitched? or so I have heard.

So, basically, I am looking for something AS loud or slightly quieter than the Bassanis, with the same or less amount of drone.

When I originally made the decision to go with Bassani, it had been between Borla and Bassani. I ultimately picked Bassani because from what I read it wasn't as loud and there wasn't as much drone. Is this really true? The Bassani has plenty of drone and it is plenty loud to me. Has anyone here had both of these systems on their car (with stock headers and mid-pipe) and can you give me a comparison of the relative loudness inside and outside the car?

I have also read about this IMCO exhaust. Is this as loud or almost as loud as the SLP? If so, that is a problem, but the sounds clips sounded nice.

What other options are there? My main question is, HOW MUCH LOUDER ARE BORLAS THAN BASSANI, AND HOW MUCH WORSE IS THE DRONE?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bassanis may go - need exhaust suggestions

I can't answer your question regarding Bassaini vs. Borla becasue I haven't done a head-to-head comparison. However, if you are concerned about drone (regardless of what mufflers you have) you can simply add a pair of resonators, that should kill the drone.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
marlinmon07
2nd Gear Member

i have corsa's and they sound a lot like stock, but at WOT they are ****ing sick, and NO drone whatsoever. sorry, but i havent had any experience with the bassini's, i have heard the borlas and i like my corsa's over them.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

i actually had a borla set up, and i took them off in favor of the corsas. and as noted, WOT is freakin amazing.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:07 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Luv my Corsas.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I luv my Corsas too, but perhaps you should keep your Bassanis and try a header setup with them. Maybe even go back to stock with a LT setup. That might sound better to your ears.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

I had Bassani SS axel-backs and sold them for the same reasons you don't like yours. I ended up going with the FRPP Stingers....(borla made of course). I absolutely love them. There is a little drone at around 2800 rpm, but nothing big, and they sound amazing on the highway no drone at all. The FRPP's are manufactured by borla, just with ford's name on them for 200 bucks less. A bunch of people just bought the FRPP's and couldn't me more happy with them. I love them, IMO they are the best out there if you don't want the loud booming of the SLP's. THese are real loud and people will know when your coming but the deep gurgle is something I haven't heard on any other exhaust. My bassani's never gurgled like that when you let off the gas. I have gotten nothing but compliments and it seems everyone loves this exhaust just as much as i do.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Part of the reason I have strayed away from the Corsa's is that everyone says they sound great at WOT, but I want a deep muscular sound even at lower RPMs, since this is where I spend most of my driving time. From what I heard, Corsa's are pretty quiet then. And I love the sound of the Bassani in these ranges, it is at WOT that I don't like them so much.

I have thought about doing the long tubes with stock exhaust (or exhaust only slightly louder than stock, like regular Borla's.) But that will have to wait until warranty is up.

I have also thought about an aftermarket catted H-pipe, but am afraid this could make it too loud.

Backinblack, how would you compare both the drone and the exterior noise level of the Borla's to the Bassanis?

Everything I hear about Borla's sounds great, I am just concerned they will be a little too much on the loud side for me. I wouldn't want to go too much louder than the Bassani, so I am using that as my measuring stick.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Mustang07

Ford Racing Stainless Cat-back Exhaust sound great. Also they have huge tips. They use a very large diameter pipe that extends out from the bumber to show it off very nicely. I'll post my pics once it returns from my current mod project. I dont think Ive seen a larger looking one!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

I love my flowmasters. They have a good deep rumble and sound great WOT too. At highway speeds you can barely hear them until you get on it. As for drone, little to none and if you have a manual tranny it's doubtful it would come up. With the auto sometimes when the tranny upshifts too soon you can get a bit of engine lug and drone from that, it's occasional though.

I get nothing but compliments on mine.