Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I know nothing, so some help would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 AM
TheNewMustangOwner

Default I know nothing, so some help would be nice

So next week i am buying a new 06' Mustang GT,i will have a low car payment hopefully, and able to afford some good mods. So this is where i am looking for info on stuff i should probably already don't know.
First, what are C.A.i.'s?
Second, How do tuners work, and what exactly do they do?
Third, i know i am going to get made fun of for this one and should probably just ask one of my friends but atleast i probably wont see all of you in real life so what the hell, the different numbers in octane mean, and whats better for my engine or how do i decide i know octane is gas but i am really am new to the whole car thing. Just looking for answers.
Last, any info that a beginner should know about my first real muscle car....
Thanks Everyone
The NEWB
Old 08-26-2006, 04:10 AM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I know nothing, so some help would be nice

ORIGINAL: TheNewMustangOwner

So next week i am buying a new 06' Mustang GT,i will have a low car payment hopefully, and able to afford some good mods. So this is where i am looking for info on stuff i should probably already don't know.
First, what are C.A.i.'s?
Second, How do tuners work, and what exactly do they do?
Third, i know i am going to get made fun of for this one and should probably just ask one of my friends but atleast i probably wont see all of you in real life so what the hell, the different numbers in octane mean, and whats better for my engine or how do i decide i know octane is gas but i am really am new to the whole car thing. Just looking for answers.
Last, any info that a beginner should know about my first real muscle car....
Thanks Everyone
The NEWB
Welcome and great choice with the mustang GT. The fun factor for the price = 11 out of 10! So first off a CAI is a cold air intake. Tuners are exactly what their name implies. They allow you to tune your car by changing the tune on your car. You can change everything from spark to shift points to air fuel ratios. This allows you to optimize the vehicle to YOUR SPECIFIC needs. If you want to get the most out of your mods, you need a tuner. you can always restore the factory tune from ford if you want, with the tuner. (A dyno tune after you're done with all your mods will get you the best possible tune). The octane is a little complicated, but heres a link that explains it well. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm And what you should know about the car; be careful because you will get addicted to it and the mods!

Nick
Old 08-26-2006, 04:26 AM
TheNewMustangOwner

Default RE: I know nothing, so some help would be nice

Thanks for the info man, that helps with a little on the abbrviations on the site.