Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WTFdead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
kingfish

Default WTFdead battery

WHATS up yall? I have a 2006 mustang gt with about 3500 miles on it .Anyway havent been driving it alot in the past month but drove it a week ago and it ran great and no battery problem.I checked to see if the doors were cracked or if I LEFT THE LIGHTS ON but did not. WTF is going on?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:40 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WTFdead battery

Charge it up and see if it happens again. It may be a bad battery, or you may have a short somewhere in your system. Either way that's a dealer issue.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I don't know, but I've read plenty of posts about the same thing happening to other people. I'd love to test the theory, but I have to drive the car every day.

ORIGINAL: kingfish

WHATS up yall? I have a 2006 mustang gt with about 3500 miles on it .Anyway havent been driving it alot in the past month but drove it a week ago and it ran great and no battery problem.I checked to see if the doors were cracked or if I LEFT THE LIGHTS ON but did not. WTF is going on?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

This one comes up over and over and over............... Yes, many Mustang owners have this problem if the car sits for over a week or so. Tell the dealer and he'll tell you he's never heard of the problem. Ford has their dealers trained to look like a dear in the headlights when chronic problems arise that they can't fix or are unwilling to fix. I have resorted to a battery buddy charger every time I do not plan to drive the car for more than 7 days or so.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Mine went dead after only sitting for two days. I think it's the shaker that's drawing the current . As soon as I replaced the battery, it started going crazy and flipping through all the CD's.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:00 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Had similar problem(car didn't die though, just slow cranking), with dealer catching it and replacing battery(for free, of course). No
problem since, though dealer said maybe supplier made a bad batch of batteries(?), we'll see.[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

Mine got towed friday, battery light came on and it died while i was at work. I have also had the shaker go nuts one time, eject all my CD's, and turn itself off. but hopefully i'll find out monday whats going on
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 PM
bc

ORIGINAL: Dumpweed
Mine got towed friday, battery light came on and it died while i was at work. I have also had the shaker go nuts one time, eject all my CD's, and turn itself off. but hopefully i'll find out monday whats going on
Don't be surprised if some of these cases turn out to be the alternator. My battery light started coming on for a period of time and then off when I only had 2500 miles. It turned out to be a defective alternator. It was intermittently charging and sometimes not charging at all.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Anomalus1
1st Gear Member

nowadays, with all these computer components constantly on, it always best to run the car atleast once or twice per week or two to charge the battery, depending on the car.

I have an Avalon that i don't drive as often anymore, you can probably guess why [sm=smiley2.gif]. The battery dies after a month of sitting. Its got the push start, remote recognition/autostart, auto-lock, blah blah... that constantly wears on the battery with the car off. I've tested it and the battery will die after about a month of sitting. I now atleast run the car once every couple of weeks and and the car starts everytime, been over 5 months now. The dealer even told me to do so if i didn't drive it all the time, i didn't listen of course.

The Stangs probably have a few things that are always on (AAT uses a good amount with the sensor, that i know) that will wear the battery if the car isn't run every now-and-then. If it's not the alternator, a short, or a bad battery, it's probably the above.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:17 PM
wakebord1999

2 Day's is crazy though. Bring it to the dealer, let us know how it turns out

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Mine went dead after only sitting for two days. I think it's the shaker that's drawing the current . As soon as I replaced the battery, it started going crazy and flipping through all the CD's.

Quick Reply: WTFdead battery