Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alright 4.6's. i want honest answers please

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:18 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Alright 4.6's. i want honest answers please

ORIGINAL: wakebord99

Without FI, you need higher compression to burn it, not just a "tune". So, as it stands switching over just means less mileage, less power, plug fouling and more particulate emissions... So, I guess we mandate FI - Works for me! I am already compliant!
I'm not quite sure what FI stands for, perhaps Fuel Injection. And I have a limited knowledge about the capabilities and limitations to our ECU, Ingition system, and combustion habits with this car. But theoretically you could "tune" the car to run leaner and run an inceased timing. Think about a 93 octane tune on steroids !!!

btw.. i think i know what FI means.. Forced Induction ??
Yes.

There is a limit on how much timing you can put in is present in the PCM, but there is also a limit to how much you can put into an engine period before it loses power... I have to admit, I don't have the bell curve handy for this engine, but at a ~9.5:1 (relatively low compression) history tells me, that you will run out of compression before you can completely combust 103-105 fuel.

BTW - I had read through those specific links you had some time ago - where did you see the 70% stat? Most of the things I skimmed after you posted that seemed to be pointing to 70/30 the other direction with industrial production of Ethanol - that is the Cellulosic plants are justs now coming on on-line...

One of the things that has really frustrated me about this debate is that there is a lot of "data", but not a lot of "facts" - that is everyone is compiling dissociated data points and drawing seat-of-the-pants conclusions/opinions without going through the whole equation. So, I have ZERO confidence in any opinion I have seen on either side as few if any really account for the whole energy cycle and fewer bother to discuss the scalability of production with real data.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
RPM

Default RE: Alright 4.6's. i want honest answers please

according to the dash display, 14.5 avg in town and 24 @70 MPH highway.