Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005+ Mustang GT Automatic after market torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default 2005+ Mustang GT Automatic after market torque converters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a question, so I need your help.

The Mustang GT Automatic torque converter is electronically controlled by computer programming. (OBD-ll) Its my understanding that the control of the stock converter, through programming, is based on RPM and MPH.

When an after market torque converter is installed what do you guys do with the control wiring that was originally going to the stock converter and controlling it. Is a tune necessary to let the OBD-ll know that it no longer a stock torque converter in the car?

Its my understanding that the after market converters are mechanically or pressure controlled.

Hope someone can answer the above for me. I gotta know.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005+ Mustang GT Automatic after market torque converters

I would assume a tune would be necessary but I cant even find an aftermarket converter for sale so... doesnt look like ill have to be worried about it any time soon
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

I would assume a tune would be necessary but I cant even find an aftermarket converter for sale so... doesnt look like ill have to be worried about it any time soon

TCI or Edge Racing Converters. Any stall speed you want.

As for me, I'm still trying to figure out what is controlling the stock torque converter.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

I'm having a new Lentech Convertor installed Friday. It has the lockup feature similar to the stock convertor but it flashes to 3300 RPM or so. I'll let you know how it functions during lockup. I'll be running the car Saturday at Lebanon Valley Dragway.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks, if we could get a link to where you got it that would be awesome!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

Well, nothing goes as planned. I ran the car with the new lentech converter and I only got 2700 RPM stall on Hoosier drag radials. So back to Lentech went the converter for a loosening up. I just finished topping off the fluid tonight @ 1:30 A.M. I'm trying to get to Raceway Park for the JDM Day Tomorrow, free food and Free drag racing. What could be better! Anyway, the converter is much looser now. It slips to about 3300 on the brake. It feels like it will work well. But the car feels a little down on power now. I can't wait to see if I lose some MPH through the traps. I'll let you know.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Tonylsg
1st Gear Member

Keep in mind that convertors are rated at a flash stall speed. Not what you can rev it up to with your foot on the brake. My race car runs a 5000rpm convertor that will only hold about 25-2800 RPM on the foot brake but flashes and stays when I mat it!

Nice times tradetheoex! Let us know how the new convertor does.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

To get the right performance out of an aftermarket converter you are going to HAVE to get the car dyno tuned. I have not yet gone the converter route but I have changed my lock-up schedules on the stock unit to make better use of the HP I am putting down. In fact I have pretty much re-tuned every characteristic of the tranny from shift points going up and down to line presures at different RPM's. I have it VERY aggressive at WOT. Tranny tuning has made the biggest difference of anything else I have done to it. Most people think it's a standard until they look in it. It even downshifts like I'm pulling through gears in a standard.