Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run with SRT-4!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Ron02GT46

Default RE: Run with 350Z

ok, so SRT's only weigh around 2900lbs... the 230 hp rating is at the wheels, about 265-270 crank roughly... and at the end of the day u still have a mustang, and about half the population in the US have a car just like yours. I mean u are braggin about beating a car with half the cylinders and barely pull on it, and people wonder why people bash mustang owners on all the other forums. Flame me if you want, Oh and FWD is no problem if you know how to actually launch. They had economy in mind as a FWD is cheaper to make than a RWD. I actually have both cars, and in the SRT i smoke Gts 04 and down all the time. Havent raced an 05+ but i mean really they arent that much stronger, rated what 30 more hp? something like that? All these car groups always say yea but its still a neon, coming from the STI's EVO's and mustangs. Ok cool its still and imprezza its still a lancer and yea its only a mustang. So the respect can go both ways.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Ron02GT46

oh and about the whole ive never seen an srt break out of the 14's, thats funny stock they run mid to high 13s, i guess the people around you really cant drive.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:52 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I got smoked by a SRT 4 that had 2 passengers. I have an auto GT with an intake + tune. This guy was certainly not stock. I felt like a douche being beat by a neon.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:41 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ron02GT46
ok, so SRT's only weigh around 2900lbs... the 230 hp rating is at the wheels, about 265-270 crank roughly... and at the end of the day u still have a mustang, and about half the population in the US have a car just like yours. I mean u are braggin about beating a car with half the cylinders and barely pull on it, and people wonder why people bash mustang owners on all the other forums. Flame me if you want, Oh and FWD is no problem if you know how to actually launch. They had economy in mind as a FWD is cheaper to make than a RWD. I actually have both cars, and in the SRT i smoke Gts 04 and down all the time. Havent raced an 05+ but i mean really they arent that much stronger, rated what 30 more hp? something like that? All these car groups always say yea but its still a neon, coming from the STI's EVO's and mustangs. Ok cool its still and imprezza its still a lancer and yea its only a mustang. So the respect can go both ways.
Calm down there chief. I used to drive a Nissan Sentra SER SpecV, and people would say, "It's still a Sentra." Yeah, well, I changed it enough to where people weren't sure what it was, but yes, it was still a cheap econo-box POS deep down inside. The same hold true for the SRT 4's. I'd much rather have a base model V6 'Stang than a base Neon any day. I know you could get a base Neon for a lot less, but you get what you pay for. I've been in several Neons and SRT 4's (my best friend has a show car that's a Neon), and the fit and finish doesn't compare to even the Mustang. People are just stating their opinion, don't take it so personally.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

I just like they way they sound with their BOV.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

I had an encounter with an SRT-4 two nights ago. I've never street-raced before with my GT because I hear that there are some serious consequences for it out here in Cali. Anyways, I'm on the highway going about 80 and I pass this SRT-4 stuck behind another car. He instantly tailgates me as soon as I pass. We then hit this mile-long stretch of wide-open highway. I decide to drop it into 4th and get it going quickly just past 100. He's still behind me as I begin slowing down. At about 90 mph, he pulls along side and I just had to accept the challenge. His car was just shiny black with no badges and nice black wheels also (unsure if he had any performance mods done). So he punches it a car-length ahead of me on my left and I react about a half-second after. We get to 130 as I shifted into 5th. He remained about a half car ahead of me the whole way until I put it in to 5th just before 130. He shut it down just as I start pulling on him and we came up to some traffic. He gave me the thumbs up and I did the same.

I hate to compare my car to a car that is basically a Neon, but I was surprised that thing kept up with me. I guess he had power spooled up at that speed. I maybe should have shifted to 3rd and got about 10 mph from it before going into 4th. However, I don't care what I could've done differently because I my car did all it could and it was a good race. I was surely impressed with the SRT-4. I hope he had some performance mods because I have a C&L CAI & 91 tune.

Oh yeah, it was a full moon that night too. I never usually get challenges like that.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

AND why does it say "Run with 350Z" as the thread subject header at the top of this page? I'm confused.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Turbos benefit from cooler evening air more than a N/A car does...so I'm not surprised by him keeping his initial step on you...and yes you gotta use the GT's entire power band to to full effect....but you were pulling on him....although they'll(SRT4s) reach 150+, our car's computers cut the fun out between 143-147mph.....maybe your tune eliminated this? Rules of the jungle...you gotta keep up on mods if you're gonna strut.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
RedfireGTCoupe

I don't see why anyone here is confused why a car that is almost 700 pounds lighter with almost the same power can keep up.

I have run a 350Z with the truck I used to have. They should be an easy kill in a mustang. I could pull them from the line in an 05 Ram Quad Cab Hemi with 392 gears, Intake and exhaust running a Superchips tune. My best timeslip at Orlando was a 13.9 run. I would demolish a 350Z in this car.

For those of you interested there are some vids on Streetfire of SRT-4's beating Z-06 Corvettes and such. They are very impressive cars performance wise.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
all_bran

Default RE: Run with SRT-4!!

ORIGINAL: 8CYLPOWER

He pulls up next to me after that last race and asked what I have done to the car..I laugh and say its bone stock buddy but good try running with me and take of for the last time
1st> ^^ At least you weren't a dick about it. ^^

2nd> He probably had mad boost leaks. You probably still would have had him from a dig... but he would have pulled on you all the way from a roll.

Sorry man, $21k SRT4 > $30k mustang

SRT4 = 235HP
Most people dyno 215-225 WHP @ 2950lbs if they take care of their boost leaks

Mustang GT = 300HP
RWD is 80-85% efficient? = ~240WHP
@ say 3400lbs (not on teh website probably because Ford is too embarassed)

I think the role of thumb is 10HP = approx 100lbs (VERY rough). So assuming that ratio is a little steep, a mustang would end up a couple tenths behind an SRT4 in the 1/4 mile.

Lesson over...

Quick Reply: Run with SRT-4!!