Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic GT vs Manual V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Automatic GT vs Manual V6

I like my automatic, then again, I am 45 years old and don't wish to be shifting gears all the time. I got an SCT and bumped up the line pressures for firmer shifts. With the Saleen, it will break the wheels loose at 20-30mph when it downshifts into lower gears.

I am very happy with my automatic.

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

when you drive a manual, there will be times you wish it was auto. . .

and when you have an auto, you will want it to be a manual. . .

i would say the latter happens more often then the first one, but its all up to the driver.

I've had a ton of ppl look inside my car and be like, damn strait, you got a manual. . . im like "yep, wouldn't have it any other way". . . so i would just say . . . its all in your hands dude. . . don't get something you will never be satisfied with. . .
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RPM

Anyone looking for a GT manual in like new condition

http://hoigto.com/gt

Daaammmmnnn!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

I ordered the Auto because this is a 5 speed auto with a super short 1st gear. I drag race the car on the weekends and prefer the consistancy of the auto. Everyone who laughed when I bought the auto, changes there tune when they go for a ride. I can get the car sideways on the 1-2 shift. It shifts hard enough to bark the 2-3 shift as well. When I'm driving with the family, I can set it in drive and forget it. At the track, the things an animal.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tradetheoex

I ordered the Auto because this is a 5 speed auto with a super short 1st gear. I drag race the car on the weekends and prefer the consistancy of the auto. Everyone who laughed when I bought the auto, changes there tune when they go for a ride. I can get the car sideways on the 1-2 shift. It shifts hard enough to bark the 2-3 shift as well. When I'm driving with the family, I can set it in drive and forget it. At the track, the things an animal.
still shoulda got a manual

check my time in my sig
Old 09-05-2006, 12:29 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

I purchased my car when the 05s came out. I was disappointed with the Auto even with a tune and the CAI. You will need gears and a TC to really wake her up.

Patrick

- Painted stripes with painted mirrors and louvers
- Painted Gauge pod/ Boost Gauge/Air fuel/Oil pressure
- Torque H/P Conv.
- M-4209 Gear 4.30
- Hood Pins
- Magnapack Exhaust
- Steeda Springs
- Carbon Fiber Dash kit
- 4FU218-020SQ Vortech 08 PSI
-Predator-Final lap tune

Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 AM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

ORIGINAL: chrisc

get the auto and give it a good tune
+1
The automatic with a good tune is pretty cool and fast.

I'm almost 60 so having an automatic allows me to punch it and not having to do anything else but "hold on".
With the manual I might forget to shift. []
+2

[sm=nxsmile.gif] Put the peddle to the metal and don't let up. I'm not 60, but a Nashville, TN. daily driver. I'm glad I have an auto.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/DD56B07504954ACFA098F55EFE9A6396.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/E4D02A01FACC4D5F8E7D10795EF85F22.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Since you already know how the manual V6 drives, get a test drive on an auto GT.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
dbvettez06
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

when you drive a manual, there will be times you wish it was auto. . .

and when you have an auto, you will want it to be a manual. . .

i would say the latter happens more often then the first one, but its all up to the driver.

I've had a ton of ppl look inside my car and be like, damn strait, you got a manual. . . im like "yep, wouldn't have it any other way". . . so i would just say . . . its all in your hands dude. . . don't get something you will never be satisfied with. . .

Amen to that!!!! Thats why i have both!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Well, just for the record, and just in case anyone else has ever wondered the same thing, I test drove an automatic GT today.
I'm going to stick with the manual V6. I think I'm just too much of a manual transmission guy. Don't get me wrong... the sound of that exhaust? Felt like a small slice of heaven to hear that V8 purr through the dual exhaust... it took everything for me to not wet myself while gunning it in park. And the amount of rubber I left on the road WITH the traction control on was very impressive.
But, with that being said, it just felt to ME, that I was giving too much control over to the computer. I guess I'm just too much of a "slice my own way through the gears" kind of guy.
And please don't see this as an invitation to start bashing, but having had nothing to compare it to before, I did learn today that my car IS fast. Is it a GT? Certainly not. But it isn't nearly as bad as some V6 bashers had me believing it was before I drove a GT.

That is all however, just MY opinion. Thanks again for all the feedback!

Quick Reply: Automatic GT vs Manual V6