Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gear for supercharged/turbo Gt 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: gear for supercharged/turbo Gt 5 speed

Hi Andrew,

This is a great question. Here is my mod list.

- Painted stripes with painted mirrors and louvers
- Painted Gauge pod/ Boost Gauge/Air fuel/Oil pressure
- Torque H/P Conv.
- M-4209 Gear 4.30
- Hood Pins
- Magnapack Exhaust
- Steeda Springs
- Carbon Fiber Dash kit
- 4FU218-020SQ Vortech 08 PSI
-Predator-Final lap tune

With this setup my car was spinning at WOT throttle all the way to 3rd. When it reaches 3rd, it went 45 degrees sideways. I posted about this before and was told the same thing. The cheapest way I could do this was to put 275s BFG DR in the back, Steeda billet trailing arm and Panhard bar.
Guess what, It doesn’t work. The damn thing won't stay on the ground. I don't know what to do other than taking that 4.30 out.
I have a feeling you will probably have the same issue with 4.10 but I could be wrong.
It would be nice if more guys here with S/C and gear experience came forward and explained how they beat this.

Patrick

ORIGINAL: androdz

Making my car supercharged or turbo in the future. I dont know if I should stick with 4.10s or switch to 3.73 when I get the turbo any suggestions?

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

If your tires are really jumping then you should get the control arm set. Mine really made a difference for the hard starts. I think I will stay with the 4.10s and see how it does when I get my s/c. If not then Ill just switch to 3.73s to see. I know I will jump later on since I am gonna run at 12-14 boost until I get internals and then go 18psi. The best upgrade for traction are the lower control arms.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

12-14 psi is going to be tough with street gas and stock internals. I have a real sensitivity to bad gas at 9psi and am considering using water/meth injection. You will probably need new internals sooner rather than later.

If your tires are really jumping then you should get the control arm set. Mine really made a difference for the hard starts. I think I will stay with the 4.10s and see how it does when I get my s/c. If not then Ill just switch to 3.73s to see. I know I will jump later on since I am gonna run at 12-14 boost until I get internals and then go 18psi. The best upgrade for traction are the lower control arms.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

My engine fell apart at 14 PSI[:@]
[&o] twice......

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

12-14 psi is going to be tough with street gas and stock internals. I have a real sensitivity to bad gas at 9psi and am considering using water/meth injection. You will probably need new internals sooner rather than later.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Ouch! I feel your ping (oops, pain)!

ORIGINAL: freefallpat
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

lol Yeah I hear ya, I am getting a block from a friend of mine that blew it up but the block is in good condition and I am gonna bore it to 5.0L for the magic number and rebuild it. Of course everything forged

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

On a Side note I should had gotten an RX7, they are putting 30-35 lbs of boost on street drivers over here -.-.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

People talk about traction issues in 1st gear with 4.10's NA. How are you not going to have super traction issues with another 150-200 horsepower.
ya and some people talk about the experience they actually have, and i havent had any traction problems with 4.10s in the cars ive driven

on a modular motor, there is no reason to have any less the a 4.10 ratio
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

It's not that there aren't any, you just aren't aware of them. Not everyone is drag racing. Some may want to be more comfortable at higher speeds and just not run at higher rpm all the time. When boosted, steep gears don't always even bring the best times.

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

It's not that there aren't any, you just aren't aware of them. Not everyone is drag racing. Some may want to be more comfortable at higher speeds and just not run at higher rpm all the time. When boosted, steep gears don't always even bring the best times.

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

when boosted with a centri 4.10s are fine, as for something like a KB or a turbo, i dont know, ive never driven a car with that combo

so what if no one is drag racing, 3.73s are a waste of money NA or with a centrifical, especially on a 5 speed

Quick Reply: gear for supercharged/turbo Gt 5 speed