Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yikes on C&L intake install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:18 PM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Default Yikes on C&L intake install!

Okay me and my brother installed it last night. He did the MAF housing part, and DID use the self tapping screws from the stock housing that C&L says to not use. Is this going to be a problem, as it seems to be working fine now, or should I reinstall?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Yikes on C&L intake install!

I'm sure there should be a reason that C&L did not want you to use those screws. . . not strong enough? not enough grip? doesn't hold it in proper place?

whatever it may be, i would find out why, and see if his install could possibly have problems. . . if so, then i would def re-install.

otherwise, if it looks good, leave it alone and get r don
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

I think the original screws were self tapping screws for the plastic on the original housing and the ones that came with the c&l were made to fit in the aluminum housing, if the self tapping ones are holding good I guess I would leave them in, the other ones might not fit so well now anyways.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

DO NOT USE THEM! THEY WILL STRIP AND SNAP OFF JUST AS SURE AS DAY!!!! Thats why they gave you new ones because of so many people doing it. Back them out very, very, very slowly and change them out. I broke off one of mine on install and had to do alot to correct it.

Dont feel bad though, you are not the first or the last to do that. The reason people forget is because they should put the little note saying not to use the old screws in the written instructions so you see it as you get to that part and not when you open the box just laying there as a side note. You never remember it later when you get to that part of the install.

If you do keep them for some reason just dont over tighten them and take them out very slowly when you have to remove them.

Good luck what ever you do.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Worse case you could have the MAF housing helicoiled if you messed it up.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good thread, very informative for future reference
Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

I checked inside the MAF housing and no damage done using the stock screws, I emailed Brenspeed asking them what I should do. I still have the stock screws, and leaving the whole unit on I took out one of the stock screws, and barely began to try and see if the ones they sent would fit, they're definately not going to go in easy. So will run the stock ones till Brenspeed emails me back.

I feel pretty confident that the stock ones should do fine, I imagine the problem with the stock screws is that they are a low quality screw, and a bit longer then the aftermarket ones sent, so if one were to over tighten it might puncture the MAF housing. And the instruction's that C&L sent were horrible, they make a simple job harder and more confusing.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 AM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Well got a reply from Brenspeed and here is what they say.

"If it is tight and screwed in there will be no issues. Lucky for you you got them in, normally they break off! I would when you get time re-thread and put the correct screws in. You are lucky as nobody has got the stock ones in without breaking them."

So phew!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I think the Stock screws are as everyone has said a Self tapping Screw and the replacements are machined fit screws so the thread pitch and everything is completely different. You may in fact have to Helicoil if the stockers end up giving you a problem. No big deal really.

Richard
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

The screws that I got with my kit were the wrong ones (surprise surprise RPM outlet). Not knowing that at the time I used the stock ones. Sure as day one broke off 99% the way in and the other went in fine. I was able to seat the sensor properly and well sealed though so I'm not going to mess with it unless I absolutely have to.