Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Mustang's soon to be, newest competition.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: The Mustang's soon to be, newest competition.

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I don't understand when four door cars were considered musclecars............WOW...this to me just goes to show how bad GM is trying to scrape **** together.....I mean they can't even think of an original design, or a car that doesnt look like a POS..... It's like thereye so dumb and out of ideas therye just throwin parts at Gran Prix's and thinking that we're all dumb and will like that crap....Booooooo for GM,

How come they can come out with new chevy trucks every 2 years, but can't form a concept of what a DECENT musclecar should look like? Yea, I really want a Monte Carlo SS, or impala SS, or Cavalier SS........ the next A$$ who trys to race me in one of those, is just getting run off the road for just owning that crap...

wow...sorry for the rant.[sm=rant.gif]
That pic was not created by GM. It never says that GM is calling it a musclecar. It is an original design. I think they're only using the platform from holden, unlike the GTO which was actually made in Australia. GM's muslecar will be the new Camaro that is coming out or the new Trans-am that might be produced. Pontiac isn't into building muscle cars, but they are finaly getting away from their rather sudane cars and are starting to produce sporty cars. That seems to be the trend nowadays.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

That thing is ugly as hell........
Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XtacY

ORIGINAL: classj

It's beyond me why Chevy can't seem to make a decent looking car other than the 'vette.
Actually, from what I have heard, the vette is a totaly s separate division of GM. While still technically a chevy, the vette has its own design team and engineers that dont touch chevys.
Why do they do that? The corvette barely sells any units a year.
#1 they aren't any kind of seperate division. No more than Mustang is a seperate division of Ford. Every car that comes out of every company has a design and testing team. Yes it's true that the Corvette design/engineering team is a step above the rest of GM.. it is still GM in every way, shape, and form. Just look at the buttons inside the car and you can tell.. cheap a$$ gm.

#2 yes there are few units sold, i think something like 30k a year. But there's a large profit margin on those cars, and they have one heck of a following. Also that platform is now being shared with the XLR (Cadillac's hard top convertable), which helps with those expenses.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:07 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

Although I don't think GM had anything at all to do with that picture (pure photoshop chop, and a bad one at that).. If that car would have been available as a 6spd, I would have likely bought that over my Mustang. Love the Stang, but truth be told I really wanted a sports sedan with a Manual for under 30k.. and there just isn't anything out there. (RWD is a must also)
Old 09-10-2006, 02:13 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

That car wil most likely come in at close to 4000 lbsand with 362 HP you should be fine in a GT... Add a CAI and a good tune and you will be close to 350 crank HP in the GT, then no problem...
Old 09-10-2006, 02:21 AM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

I still thinks it looks good. It looks like a Grand Prix.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

4 doors? When will GM ever learn?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

All I could think of while looking at that was how its a 6 liter and still only makes 360 hp..
Old 09-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Black2007
1st Gear Member

GM is hurt'n...The only place (other than the Corvette) that GM build RWD cars (no trucks) is Austrailia. GM sold out and went to FWD and now they want a performance car image...BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguar, they ain't. GM needs to cut down to three "names: Cadillac, Chevrolet ( to keep the Vette) and Buick. Chevrolet was GMs price and performance car division ( a case could also be made for Olds and Pontiac) , Cadillac if doing its best to stay alive as is Buick...( should kept Olds over Buick, dumb call)

The Grand Prix...ain't gonna work... the success of Mustang proves people don't want performance cars with "names" only...we want the look. We identify with cars from the 60s and 70s as being Muscle Cars....a 4 door GP is far from that....even if it has 500hp...it still looks like a plastic car.[>:]
Old 09-10-2006, 07:40 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

+1
Like that perspective.

Quick Reply: The Mustang's soon to be, newest competition.