Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

pulling to the left?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: pulling to the left?

ORIGINAL: 06stangGT
experimented today, pulls to the left every time i stop, very little at a slow stop, and ALOT at a fast stop. Suggestions?
Never noticed this on mine, but then I try to avoid braking hard and when I do, I am holding the wheel firmly...

This is not to say that you might not have various issues mentioned above, but given the number of people posting that seem to have this issue I wonder if what you are seeing is a result of a few things working together:

1. wider tires - effects described above
2. weight distribution in the car - driver and from 1/2tank down fuel are all on the left side of the car
3. wheels are not aligned to be exactly straight by design (helps the car track straight if you let go of the wheel - and aren't braking)

Just a theory, but I wonder if you leveled out the weight in the car with a full tank of gas and a passenger of equivalent size if you would see this?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Never noticed this on mine, but then I try to avoid braking hard and when I do, I am holding the wheel firmly...
That makes a lot of sense, I bet most of us with this problem experience this while driving with one hand (which I guarantee most of us do 90% of the time).

I am going to brake hard with two hands on the wheel and see how it goes.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT
That makes a lot of sense, I bet most of us with this problem experience this while driving with one hand (which I guarantee most of us do 90% of the time).
I am going to brake hard with two hands on the wheel and see how it goes.
Didn't mean that to sound self-righteous - I generally drive with one hand even in auto cars (stang(s) are sticks)... I have been in 3 accidents in my life and all three were being rear-ended while either stopped or stopping normally, so I tend to drive for the person behind me in tight quarters as a matter of paranoia...

Though I have to say that the VERY early onset of my midlife crises has led to lots of "virtual racing" practice in the form of Need For Speed (fun game) which has actually improved _some_ of my driving habits including holding the wheel with 2 hands when not shifting...

Other habits have gotten somewhat worse Once you have spent half-an-hour perfecting that 90 deg turn in the center of town at 100MPH+ - a good break is in order before doing any real driving... I doubt the kind officer would accept "oh common!, I can get through there at a 120 easy, I was only doing 90 that time!" as an excuse...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 09-11-2006, 11:03 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

experimented today, pulls to the left every time i stop, very little at a slow stop, and ALOT at a fast stop. Suggestions?
There is actually a very logical explaination to this...Your a big guy, and sitting in the drivers seat shifts the cars central weight distribution to the left. Thus, under braking condition, there will be more pressure on the left two wheels, causing the car to veer slightly to the left. To stop it, put a 200 pound weight in your passenger seat. [sm=trust_me.gif]

~Fred
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

You guys all got the NASCAR Mustangs. They only turn left.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

You guys all got the NASCAR Mustangs. They only turn left.
HaHa. Well i guess bring it to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

There is actually a very logical explaination to this...Your a big guy, and sitting in the drivers seat shifts the cars central weight distribution to the left. Thus, under braking condition, there will be more pressure on the left two wheels, causing the car to veer slightly to the left. To stop it, put a 200 pound weight in your passenger seat. [sm=trust_me.gif]

~Fred

Well, funny you should say that because, haha, I weigh 130 lbs 18 Years old.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

~Fred

Well, funny you should say that because, haha, I weigh 130 lbs 18 Years old.
LOL... same thing here.. thats crazy.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

got an apt. tomorrow for this whole ordeal, they are gonna check it out and ill let ya know what they say

Quick Reply: pulling to the left?