Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Making the 06 GT lighter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Default Making the 06 GT lighter

Has anybody had any success in reducing the weight of this 3800 pound automobile. I know there is a rear seat delete kit but the weight loss is about 50 pounds only. Having a procharger installed next week, so I assume I will actually be adding weight. Anybody get theiirs down to 3500 lbs or less?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:01 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Making the 06 GT lighter

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

Has anybody had any success in reducing the weight of this 3800 pound automobile. I know there is a rear seat delete kit but the weight loss is about 50 pounds only. Having a procharger installed next week, so I assume I will actually be adding weight. Anybody get theiirs down to 3500 lbs or less?
It really all depends on how much you want to strip down your car.. I mean if you want to go hardcore, take out the back seat, all the door panels, insulation and padding, the passenger seat, the shaker system if you have it, the electric driver seat if you have it, and the spare tire and jack and that should get you at about.. Id say.. 3400 or so.. sound about right guys? Some other guys like the carbon fiber stuff and theres a few pounds to shave off here and there with that stuff.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How much do you weigh?

You can remove the front swaybar and replace the radiator support with a lighter one from BMR, but the rear seat removal will probably net you more loss. There's lots of useless metal you could remove for drag racing, like the inner fenders for one. Removing the AC should help as well.

I would start with the rear seat and spare tire/jack and go from there.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here is a great earlier thread about weight savings.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1514960/tm.htm
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Smaller, lighter racing rims should have been at the top of my list.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I forgot stock mufflers! The Ford racing mufflers are much lighter.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I forgot stock mufflers! The Ford racing mufflers are much lighter.
Straight pipes are even lighter than those

Yeah I didnt even go into depth with all the mechanical metal stuff you can take out... Id hate myself if I said the wrong thing and then you took it out and got in a wreck or something because of it. So as far as suspension and all that stuff dont listen to me... but all the stuff on the inside can be gutted if youre serious about weight reduction.. all those motors in the door for power windows and door locks etc.. yeah.. extra weight.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

i don't know about you. . . but i perfer to leave the weight reduction stuff to the ricers

i like running my time on full weight, just the way i will be on the street. . .

when all's said and done, 300 lbs may get you 2 to 3 tenths, but is it really worth it. . .

just remember, we have a lot more torque than those 4 bangors, so weight reduction doesn't help us as much as it helps the less torquey cars . . . just my .02
Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I actually plan on adding more weight because of mods.. unfortunately my car isnt strictly a track car, so I cant focus on weight reduction and all that good stuff. Itd be different if I could gut it and put a cage and a racing seat in it...
Old 09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

Problem is that cars in general are getting heavier every day. Look at the new BMW 335i, now BMW claims to use weight saving materials such as magnesium composite engine blocks, almuinum sub-frame, alot of aluminum drivetrain parts.. and you know how much that car is going to weigh? Almost 3700 lbs wet.

There is only so much you can do. Replace the entire front end with carbon fiber, along with your trunk lid. Replace all your glass with a racing equivolent, change your drive shaft for a 1 peice aluminum, so on and so fowarth. I bet with all that you can even get our cars to a fighting weight of about 3100 lbs. Maybe even compete with a vette at that rate. But do you really want to go through all that?

Quick Reply: Making the 06 GT lighter