Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A few questions...

high flow cats will gain you enough hp. . .

you may be 1 or 2 hp less than off road, and thats not gonna be noticable at all. . .

its emmision friendly, and it gives you the HP. . . go with high flow catted X

im happy with the sound and performance. . .
Old 09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Can you walk us through installation? I was curious if you go catted, do you have to make cuts?...I was kinda hoping to be able to switch back and forth. Second, if you go catless, is it just a bolt-on?....and do you need to re-flash? Should you expect a check-engine light?

There are holes for the O2 sensors right?

Thanks to those with experience.

Anyone else wish they had a lift in their garage?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

If you go catless you dont HAVE to re-flash, you can just put on a set of MIL eliminators and you will be fine. But always with any mod it is better to tune your car for it, sooner or later when modding your car you will need to get some kind of tuner.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

what are MIL eliminators?

can you answer my other questions?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

MIL eliminators are used so your CEL wont go on. Catless is just bolt on I think. And as far as switching out cats, I know a friend who has a BBK O/R X on his Mach 1 and he can put the cats back on if he has to.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swensicle

Anyone else wish they had a lift in their garage?
I looked into it after getting my gt and all of them are expensive! I still wish I had one though.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Is says on some of them if you'd like to use your cats that you have to cut the stock pipe and then they have a slide over with a clamp so there is no-welding. I'm curious to know how much cutting is involved. I have a saws-all so it isn't a problem, but I would like to be able to go back and forth if the sound level is a lot different.

I know we all would love to have some ***** to control the levels and depths of our exhaust note, but I guess we'll have to turn wrenches instead. I'm also wondering if it would be easier to just switch out the H pipe or to have a few different sets of axlebacks.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
screamin281

Really though, how much difference is there with the high flow catted x and the off road x pipe? This is with SLP loudmouths. If there is not enough noticeable difference between the sound of the stock H and LMs compared to catted x then that is a waste in my opinion...

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Your exhaust sound will be raspier with an O/R X. I think the best way to go would be with some hi-flow cats.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: screamin281

Really though, how much difference is there with the high flow catted x and the off road x pipe? This is with SLP loudmouths. If there is not enough noticeable difference between the sound of the stock H and LMs compared to catted x then that is a waste in my opinion...

Thoughts?
Why do you want an XPipe. Its actually been shown that X pipes create less horsepower the H Pipes. The stock one is pretty good, but it you want to replace it, replace it with an aftermarket H.

~Fred

Quick Reply: A few questions...