Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

18" Bullitt rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

Default 18" Bullitt rims

The 18" polished rims are rediculously priced, but the silver 18's are not that bad. Can I take the silver rims and polish them myself to make them look exactly like the polished 18's? Please help if you can.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 18" Bullitt rims

It's possible, but it's a LOT of work. I saw someone do this on a set of stock Sentra SpecV wheels. They were silver, he stripped them down with aircraft stripper, sanded them progressively starting at 100 grit, and working his way up to something like 2000 grit (or even higher). Then he actually polished them up. They looked good, but it literally took him weeks.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I wouldent do it, and the factory ones are clear powder coated for easy maintinance requiring nothing more than an occasional car polish/waxing.

Define extremely expensive?? Last I checked, the silver or black ones are 140-160 each, the polished are 200 and the chrome are 260 each.

So for 50 extra a wheel, get the polished. Trust me, you will burn up that much money or more in abrasives, polishes, and clearing them. PLUS you have to do the work which is a mess and takes forever. This is assuming you have polishing equiptment already. And I bet the factory ones still look better.

I am buying another set of polished for the winter myself. Unless I cheap out and do the silver (but not polish them), but I like the polished and I figure that having another set of wheels cannot hurt if I can swing it.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

do the polished and silver look close to the same or is there extremely noticeable differences? Also, why do you need another set of rims like you already have for the winter? Is there something I need to know about rims and weather that makes these different from all the others I've owned? thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

doubt it. . . plus the gray ones are only 17's

yeah. . . check the sig
Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Why not go Chrome??

I got em in stock and will do them for $615.00 Shipped for a set of 18x9's and 18x10's!!!!

How bout that??

Jared@Lethal
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

Why not go Chrome??

I got em in stock and will do them for $615.00 Shipped for a set of 18x9's and 18x10's!!!!

How bout that??

Jared@Lethal
Jared, I'm interested. Brand new? Chrome? 18x9 and 18x10 chrome bullit wheels?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

do the polished and silver look close to the same or is there extremely noticeable differences? Also, why do you need another set of rims like you already have for the winter? Is there something I need to know about rims and weather that makes these different from all the others I've owned? thanks.
From 50 feet away the polished and silver might look close. I havent seen the silver in person but probably look nice in a torque thrust D kinda way.

Regarding winter, first off, snow and salt eat rims. I dont like having my summer rims destroyed. How these will fair is yet to be seen.

Also, I run a full set of snow tires on all my wintergoing cars. I am in NJ, so we do get our fair share of snow. In deep snow I will just hitch a ride in the family SUV and leave the stang home. I dont really like all season tires and consider them a comprimise in all situations. the stock BFGs are surprisingly good, but when they go I am replacing them with full blown summer tires that cannot be used in the cold weather. They just get too hard and rain becomes a problem forgetting about snow.

So that means another set of rims as swapping tires on existing rims spring and fall is never a good idea.

As far as which rims are concerned, I want to stay 18" as I like the way the car feels with the 18"s as it is a pretty drastic difference, and I may need 18" wheels year round anyway if I upgrade my front brakes to gt500 stuff.

I ordered the calipers this week, now I just have to do some test fitting to see if I can use a reasonable spacer to clear the OE 18" bullitts. Considering that the calipers are backordered 13 months from ford, I found a set in stock for under current ford list price and grabbed them. The rest of the parts are pretty easy to get and can be had within a few weeks.

If I can keep my 18" bullitts the gt500 brakes are going on. If not, I would have to think about it as I really like my current wheels.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Larmo

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

Why not go Chrome??

How bout that??

Jared@Lethal
Jared, I'm interested. Brand new? Chrome? 18x9 and 18x10 chrome bullit wheels?
BRAND NEW!!! CHROME AND IN STOCK!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Deep dish?

Quick Reply: 18" Bullitt rims