Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 GT Octane Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 06 GT Octane Question

I'm far from an expert. Took a lot of reading before I finally decided using Regular in my "Regular" cars was better than using Premium.

"Premium" has knock inhibitors. Doesn't create more HP. If it don't knock, why use Premium?

One of my deciding reads was that I ride a Yamaha FJR1300ABS. Designed to run on "Regular". The article was a fellow scooter rider that insisted on running Premium. Bike began to run crappy, exhaust pipes dirty. Was told to run "Regular". Bike "cleaned up" in running, and the pipes cleaned up inside.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

this was posted some time ago when we were discussing the same issue

no offense, but most of you guys don't know the first thing about octane. the higher the octane, the better the fuel, the more power, period. the higher the octane, the more resistance to detonation, and the more you can advance the timing meaning more power. so, in EVERY scenario, keeping the tune the same but putting in higher octane can do NOTHING but increase horsepower.

i tested it recently on my last car, my supercharged rsx-s, with hondata k-pro. on the SAME tune, 87 octane caused knocking, but 93 resulted in the engine running smooth. at least 20whp increase on the dyno (don't remember the exact numbers). if i upped the gas to 100 octane (keeping the tune the same), a few more whp. if i then TUNED for the increased octane, another 20whp, easy.

yes, tuning for the higher octane results in MUCH higher hp numbers, BUT in our mustang gt the computer advances the timing as much as it can (from 87 to 93 octane) based upon the gas we put in the car. when i first put in 89 octane from 87, no difference, but after a tank or two, there was a noticeable gain in rwhp as the computer adjusted. this car was designed to be smart, so that if an idiot put in 85 octane, no serious damage would result as the engine would pull timing. at the same time, it was designed to adjust for higher octane, to increase hp and performance.

i'd guesstimate the following:

93 octane + 93 octane tune = 25whp more than stock
93 octane + stock tune = 5-10whp more than stock (after running a full tank or two for the computer to adjust)
91 octane + 91 octane tune = 15whp more than stock
91 octane + stock tune = 5whp more than stock (after running a full tank or two)
89 octane + 89 octane tune = 5-10whp more than stock
89 octane + stock tune = 3whp more than stock
87 octane + 87 octane tune = 3-5whp more than stock
87 octane + stock tune = stock hp
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Hmmm....It appears that he's just guessing wrt any hp gain from using 93 octane in a stock tuned Mustang.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Simon G

This wasn't reading that I wanted to read. Cause where I live, (Sweden) we don't have that 'low' octane as you have over there. The lowest opportunity we have is 95 octane. So is my car going to run like crap in the future? If, what can I do to prevent it?

Ohh, by the way I have a -05 V6

Edit: I just saw that this thread was in the GT section, didn't notice cause I did a search when I found it...