Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Blue Smoke on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Blue Smoke on Cold Start

When ever I started talking about my "blue" smoke everyone kept trying to tell me it was steam. Yes there is steam that never gets to far from the car before it dissapates, but then there was the first puff of oily smelling, blue smoke that would drift around in the garage for 10 minutes.

I finally decided it was not unusual for the new mustangs so I dont worry about it. I just hope it doesn't screw up the CATs or O2 sensors.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:10 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rotorr22

[:'(]Several people on this forum (including me) are experiencing a cloud of blue smoke subsequent to a cold start or in instances where the engine was started, stopped and restarted prior to reaching operating temperature. I am trying to understand how many owners are experiencing this issue. My local dealer says I am the only 4.6 3V owner that has reported this problem. Nonetheless, I am not willing to accept an '06 MY car car belching smoke with only 2K miles on it.

Feedback? Dealer experience anyone?
Did not see this mentioned here - so I will add it to the list...

The PCV system in this car allows oil vapor to accumulate in the intake - particularly if it sits for a while...

If you want to "prove" that this is the source of your initial oil burn rather than something more insidious - then pop the intake hose off the throttle body (after it has completely cooled (6+ hours) and look for oil sitting in the TB.

If you want to fix that - use an oil seperator.

All of that said - while I have found oil resedue - I have not seen/smelled it coming out the pipe. I did notice that keeping the oil a little below the top of the dip-stick range reduced it a little and am planning on getting some seperators myself.

Without the seperators a "puff" would not surprise me, but actually smelling it and or having it overpower the smell of cat'd raw fuel while the car was cold would surprise me a bit and have me thinking about a trip to the dealer.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

No and I thought that also but it was a blue tint for a few secs and then went to the white color you are talking about. Now mind you it doesn't do it every time in the winter. Mostly only after sitting over night and then being started in the morning.

I've just come to accept it and that's that. I was told its not hurting anything. No that's not in writing, but I have the extended warranty b/c the dealership had screwed something else up and I got it as compensation