Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen SC install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
mikewillsmith
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen SC install

Just took the first ride in my 06 GT vert with the Saleen SC installed. Man what a difference. I heard folks talking about that they were not impressed with the Saleen tune (and yes, I know you can make more power with a custom tune) but I love it. It pulls hard and is now the car I wanted it to be. No more trying to get it ramped up in the higher rpms due to my stock gears... it just goes. The only thing I find hard is trying to get out of first gear fast enough as it spools up so dang quick, 2nd gear is no longer a "chirp" but a 10-15 foot burn out and 3rd now get the "chirp". Thanks to the guys an Haney Motor Sports for the group buy that alloweded me to afford the unit.
Install was easy and without issue.
Can't wipe the smile off my face.
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Saleen.html

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC install

Congrats! Enjoy your new ticket magnet
Old 09-20-2006, 07:04 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Awesome! Did you install the S/C yourself? Gotta get rid of that stock rubber and maybe get some LCA's and I think you would be a lot happier with the traction issues.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikewillsmith

Just took the first ride in my 06 GT vert with the Saleen SC installed. Man what a difference. I heard folks talking about that they were not impressed with the Saleen tune (and yes, I know you can make more power with a custom tune) but I love it. It pulls hard and is now the car I wanted it to be. No more trying to get it ramped up in the higher rpms due to my stock gears... it just goes. The only thing I find hard is trying to get out of first gear fast enough as it spools up so dang quick, 2nd gear is no longer a "chirp" but a 10-15 foot burn out and 3rd now get the "chirp". Thanks to the guys an Haney Motor Sports for the group buy that alloweded me to afford the unit.
Install was easy and without issue.
Can't wipe the smile off my face.
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Saleen.html

Good post, thanks for the info.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the world of unnatural aspiration!

Be careful until you are used to your cars new habits. You are right; it feels like a different car.

Listen very closely for ping and detonation! This is probably the single biggest danger to your engine. If you change to a different fuel, listen. Listen for ping as your engine goes from cold to warm. Things that that don't make any difference to a NA car can make a difference to yours.

Just be careful until you are used to it. It doesn't cost even cost anything.

I think it's great you installed it yourself!

Enjoy your newfound power!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I got the Haney group buy too. I dropped my car off at Dynospeed Racing in Memphis and they called me yesterday. My car is done as well. They tuned it for me and installed a whole pisspot full of other things, including a lot of suspension gear. 441 RWHP and 417 TQ!

Go get yours tuned by a reputable tuner, it will wake that car up even more...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Congratulations! Lucky, hopefully I get some sort of FI very soon. How much psi does the Saleen kit run? Is it 6?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

How does the SC sound? Does it whine? I heard the Magnacharger in a video and don't think i could deal with that whine. Does the Saleen tap into the engine oil or is it self lubricated like the Magnacharger?

Congrats on getting blown! =)
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SSGT
How does the SC sound? Does it whine? I heard the Magnacharger in a video and don't think i could deal with that whine. Does the Saleen tap into the engine oil or is it self lubricated like the Magnacharger?
Saleen/KB/Magna all are closed self-lubricating systems using a synthetic oil...

Can't speak for mikewillsmith, but been driving the Saleen for about 2K miles now and the "whine" is quieter and deeper than most I have heard and that's with the top/windows down... With the top/windows up, it is down-right civilized...

I have to admit being a heretic and not liking "whine" either and I am very happy with the Saleen... I hear the new KB is supposed to be quiet too, but I have not heard one in person yet...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: 06SSGT
Saleen/KB/Magna all are closed self-lubricating systems using a synthetic oil...

Can't speak for mikewillsmith, but been driving the Saleen for about 2K miles now and the "whine" is quieter and deeper than most I have heard and that's with the top/windows down... With the top/windows up, it is down-right civilized...

I have to admit being a heretic and not liking "whine" either and I am very happy with the Saleen... I hear the new KB is supposed to be quiet too, but I have not heard one in person yet...
Thanks for the info! I love the way the Saleen looks under the hood. I'm thinking i want one sometime in the future. Either that or the PH turbo. Oh one more thing: did you have to change the engine mounts to fit the Saleen under the hood?

Quick Reply: Saleen SC install