Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

You've Lost Your d@mn Scoop!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default You've Lost Your d@mn Scoop!?

Has anyone experienced their scoops falling or blowing off after installation? My father had a set on his vehicle and he said the quarter scoops blew off in less than 5 months. Anyone else have this problem? And what is the fix for this?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: You've Lost Your d@mn Scoop!?

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

Has anyone experienced their scoops falling or blowing off after installation? My father had a set on his vehicle and he said the quarter scoops blew off in less than 5 months. Anyone else have this problem? And what is the fix for this?
Wow, sounds like a poorly made POS ...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

It's all about prepping the surface before installing it. If you just stick it on, it won't last very long because the adhesive has nothing to bond to the car with properly. However, they still are prone to being blown off by their design and the fact that they are held on with an adhesive, but better prep means it will last longer.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S2K1

It's all about prepping the surface before installing it. If you just stick it on, it won't last very long because the adhesive has nothing to bond to the car with properly. However, they still are prone to being blown off by their design and the fact that they are held on with an adhesive, but better prep means it will last longer.
... My side scoops are 4 years old and they haven't blown off yet?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Most of that stuff is held on with 2 sided tape, so it's possible... especially if the area was not cleaned really well before attaching.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Not poorly made.... just happened to happen. I havent ordered anything like that yet for the simple fact that they are held on with TAPE. If you are on the highways frequently, like my father is, then I am sure that the higher wind resistance would make it more prone to come loose. I was just curious as to how many have had this take place. I know 3M tape is pretty good. But a constant force over an extended period of time will always weaken anything.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

[sm=laughat.gif]LMAO!! Sorry but this is just something I would expect to here on a ricer board.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:50 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

[sm=dontgetit.gif] what the hell is a rirer board?

I guess it could be kind of a dumb question . But if you were someone that lost one of your window/hood/quarter scoops then you would understand the question. Thats a couple hundred bucks a pop, you know.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I thought I edited it in time but I meant RICER. Wasn't tying to hurt any feelings but when I read the post all I could think of is that video of the eclipse losing its wing at speed. I understand losing 200 bucks blows. Once again, sorry if I hurt anyone feelings.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I have seen 2 GTs having their side scoops blowning over. That is why I am not gonna get them unless I put them with beats the nail lol

Att. Andrew

Quick Reply: You've Lost Your d@mn Scoop!?