Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

pinion angle problems..sorry

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:12 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: pinion angle problems..sorry

I thought you had a stick. Aren't the drive shafts a little different?

I took my driveshaft measurement from the middle of the rear driveshaft section, only because there was some kind of sticker on the end. I don't think there was much difference in angle anywhere on the driveshaft and there shouldn't be.

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about I took a picture of what i'm calling the pinion yoke and the black line shows the place I measure the angle(centered on the bottom of course).

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

yeah, thats where its being measured from, and thats the same angle finder. and i put the driveshaft measurement from right at the back, near the joint. i went to the track last night, and had zero problems. it ran a best of 9.034 @79.81mph in the 1/8th. now with the lcas, last night i pulled a best of 8.6700 @81.82mph. these are all on stock pirellis and an automatic. so there's still some work to be done. but the LCA's really helped out. my 60 foot times dropped quite a bit, but i was still having problems hooking up. waiting for the MT drag radials to get here, then ill be good to go.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Well I've been to four shops ,and no one carrys a magnetic angle finder? Did those of you that have one have any difficulty or did you order it online?

Old 09-30-2006, 06:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

um, yeah, the driveshaft is pointing down. like it should be. but does the angle of the driveshaft change? is it supposed to change when you adjust the lower control arms? thought it would, being that what its connected to is moving back or forward. but it never did. only the angle relationship changed, the actual angle stayed the same. it feels great right now, but again, the driveshaft is at 5, and the pinion is at 3.5. but they both read positive, or over to the rght of zero, whichever way you want to say it. that would be a positive degree of 1, not negative. maybe im just dumb, and cant understand. but if it was 1, then the tip of theangle would be pointing up, and it points down where the two meet. AH! all i know is it sounds okay, looks okay, and feels outstanding, just the numbers dont add up to be what they SAY it should.
Hey Andy, Are you measuring the angles with the car level or do you have the back jacked up under the rear axle and the front on the ground?

I first did my measurements with the front and back as level as possible and just today I jacked up just the back under the pumpkin and figured i'd check it again. Of course the angles will change, but the difference shoud remain the same. My pinion yoke measured 6 and my driveshaft measure 3.5, both numbers were on the right side of zero, here's what it looks like

Lots of sites say to measure the pinion angle with the vehicle as level as possible, but the difference between your angles remains the same so it's really not necessary. Placing a negative or positive on the two angles really makes it confusing, especially when you start subtracting. In any event, so long as your pinion yoke and drive shaft meet in a V then the angle will be negative, if they are a straight line the angle is obviously zero and if the meet in an inverted V (^) the pinion angle is positive. So my advice to anyone else is to count the degrees between the two angles and use the above to determine wether it's positive or negative. In my example above the angles looked like this on the angle finder 6-5-4-3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4-5-6, that number scale being the angle finder, both angles were to the right of zero when measured from the same side of the car, so they have 2.5 degrees between them and we know it's a negative pinion angle because of all the crap I said above.

All this will probably just confuse more people.[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 09-30-2006, 06:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hardware store, should be with the levels. I got mine from Lowes. What shops are you going to? Autoparts stores?

ORIGINAL: praztek

Well I've been to four shops ,and no one carrys a magnetic angle finder? Did those of you that have one have any difficulty or did you order it online?

Old 09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Be sure to read the angle straight even with zero, if you try to read it even at a slight angle you won't get an accurate measurement.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I just got off the phone before checking this forum and Lowes has em ! Plan on jacking the car up-->lowering it and attempting to read with car then lowered. Might have to use my digital camera to get a close up pic.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah, lowes, as much as i hate them sometimes, carries the angle finders. im going to jack it back up today, and see. do you get a hard sound when you shift at wide open throttle? i noticed on the highway and accelerating normal, sounds like a regular car, with a bit more noise from bumps. but under WOT at the track, i noticed it "slammed" into gear and the rear end was a lot louder. dont know if this is just do to the spherical ends on the LCAs, or if its a bad angle. but hey, she works. thats most important. i suppose if it breaks, i can put the stocks back on and limp to the dealership...
Old 10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Just picked mine up at Lowes. I currently don't have any knocking under hard acceleration.

Looking for suggestion on where to take measurements with the aluminium drive shaft.

See Pics

One measurement taken from flat part of the flange.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/6876B0F4B3714848A7292F9945423374.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/C74841FF17D74E49942258F861489BE3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/DE9CD81A7CFC4E85A69CA0CC10D41F34.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

This one taken from driveshaft. Let me know what you think for both measurements.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/DAA4DDDEAE00472C815BA36C83A0C17B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/3664AD8532594246BE58379CB47BAAC2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

No hard sound at WOT shifts and I just got back from the track today. I think almost any angle will work with normal driving, but WOT requires the driveshaft and pinion yoke be as straight as possible so you really have to determine the pinion angle by the type of suspension. the less your rearend rotates upwards at WOT the less negative angle you need to have.

yeah, lowes, as much as i hate them sometimes, carries the angle finders. im going to jack it back up today, and see. do you get a hard sound when you shift at wide open throttle? i noticed on the highway and accelerating normal, sounds like a regular car, with a bit more noise from bumps. but under WOT at the track, i noticed it "slammed" into gear and the rear end was a lot louder. dont know if this is just do to the spherical ends on the LCAs, or if its a bad angle. but hey, she works. thats most important. i suppose if it breaks, i can put the stocks back on and limp to the dealership...

Quick Reply: pinion angle problems..sorry