Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lower control arm relocation brackets on the street

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Lower control arm relocation brackets on the street

My Mustang is only driven on the street, but due to the engine mods I have made the stock rear control arm bushings now causing problems.

I am planning to install upper and lower poly-bushed control arms very soon.

I have read the the lower relocation brackets are good for launching, but are there any adverse effects on the handling on the street?

How about clearance problems, it seems like they are pretty low.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lower control arm relocation brackets on the street

They're fine on the street. I am running them, as are many other people, with no issues.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:45 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

my concern would be the amount of pre-load they are set at. CrazyAl - you have the driveshaft I see. I'm wondering how the factory u-joints would hold up with a constant pre-load?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:02 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I have the relocation brackets, (and one piece drive shaft) and I have had no problems. The suspension is "noisey" compared to stock, but that is due to the spherical ends on the LCAs.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

my concern would be the amount of pre-load they are set at. CrazyAl - you have the driveshaft I see. I'm wondering how the factory u-joints would hold up with a constant pre-load?

I don't know what you mean by pre-load. The LCA relocation brackets do not alter the pinion angle. All they do is alter the angle of the LCA. There is no "pre load"--the LENGTH of the LCA determines the pinion angle.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:21 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Herknav

I have the relocation brackets, (and one piece drive shaft) and I have had no problems. The suspension is "noisey" compared to stock, but that is due to the spherical ends on the LCAs.
That's interesting to me that the sperical ends would be noisy. I have read others say the same. I had them on an AC cobra replica and never heard any noise and on that car your ear is only a few feet away from the suspension. Then again the exhaust is quite loud, perhaps covering up the noise. Also the suspension doesn't move much. I wonder if some sperical bearings are of better quality and don't have as much play or don't develop as much play. I like the sperical bearing idea on the rearend position but I definitely don't want to hear them clanking.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Rod ends transmit noise becasue there is no rubber in them to cushion it.

The "noise" in question isn't rattling or banging. It's the typical background noise you hear in all cars--the sound of the tires rolling over the pavement. I would imagine that in the Cobra replica things would already be very lound, so it might not be noticeable.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Rod ends transmit noise becasue there is no rubber in them to cushion it.

The "noise" in question isn't rattling or banging. It's the typical background noise you hear in all cars--the sound of the tires rolling over the pavement. I would imagine that in the Cobra replica things would already be very lound, so it might not be noticeable.
Thanks for clearing that up. Your explanation makes more sense than the direction I was going. I could not imagine that you could hear slack in the sperical bearing. I have not decided which way I'll go yet. Maybe I'll try both because I want quiet but I don't know what level would be objectionable to me. To me the rod ends should be able to travel up and down with less bind, making the suspension work better (better ride). At what cost? Well obviously more noise.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Bingo. Rod ends are definatley the best performing. They don't deflect so the proper geometry is maintained, but at the same time they can pivot smoothly so there is no bind.

Personally, I think the most practical option on a street car is the "combo" type with one rod-end and one poly bushing. My LCAs and UCA are both set up like that, and I am VERY happy with it. The noise increase over stock was minor, but the suspension hooks like glue. I have 4.30s and I have to WORK in order to spin the tires--despite this, it handles the curves wonderfully. My only enemy is gravel on the roads...

Quick Reply: Lower control arm relocation brackets on the street