Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto or Manual?

stick. 10x more fun, like some one said slightly faster, if you are going to get a sports car, get a stick, more control in turns, you can red line it, etc. Plus CHICKS DIG a stick shift
Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 AM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

stick. 10x more fun, like some one said slightly faster, if you are going to get a sports car, get a stick, more control in turns, you can red line it, etc. Plus CHICKS DIG a stick shift
Yea, I'm sold on it ... Just told the parents that I wanted a stick. I think it looks ALOT more sleak too.

What happens if I eat up the clutch and it craps out on me though, lol ...
Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I just think a manual is in more of character for a V-8 Mustang......besides you can play Steve McQueen all day long! Sounds like you're gonna go the manual route......good choice! IMHO
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 AM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

I just think a manual is in more of character for a V-8 Mustang......besides you can play Steve McQueen all day long! Sounds like you're gonna go the manual route......good choice! IMHO
So this means no more phone calls, no more drinking in the car, no more messing with my girlfriend, etc. etc. eh?

Oh well, I'm sure it's worth it . As I drive my V6 Auto I always wish it is a stick ... Finally get to experience it, and instead of being on a 2 tone (Sky blue and rust, lol) 1988 Ford Ranger, its going to be on a 2007 Mustang GT/CS

Can't wait

Took 3 years of driving, no wrecks, 1 bogus ticket to prove I could drive ... and plus I needed some cash. Parents are helping luckily, but I have to pay them back [&o]

Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Got to second the opinion on getting a stick for more control. I have the auto due to living near some of the most congested areas in L.A., where we get stop and go traffic on the "freeways"! Plus I was worried about my knee due to getting it sore after taking a new GTO for a test drive. Plus I really wanted a triptronic style, which is really the best of both worlds! Too bad Ford's asleep at the wheel!
But while the auto upshifts very smoothly and gets the power down to the tires very well I really have found that I need to be able to down shift going into corners and to occasionally get the rearend loose coming out of a turn. The auto doesn't really lend itself to that and I end up flying into turns and having to use the brakes a lot! Even shifting the auto from 3 to 2 takes several seconds for it to downshift and that's no good!
Plus the auto is about $1000, isn't it?
On the other side of the coin, if you are planning to keep your car stock automatic might make sense, plus there are a ton of 2006 automatics on sale right now!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I've posted along these lines before but here my $.02 again.

Yes the auto will add $999 USD
Yes the auto will NEVER miss an up shift
Yes the auto will allow you to sip your coffee while you are driving your favorite road
Yes the auto will be much let hassle while in traffic
Yes the auto will handle (and does) more HP then 99.9% of all mustang owners will put in front of them.
Yes the auto will addapt to your driving style. (don't let your first imression mske you think ALL of them are sluggish) Run it hard through a few cycles and it changes durmaticly!
Yes the auto will launch almost perfiectly EVERY time! (see above if it doesn't launch or shift like you think it should)
Yes the auto will make some think you car is not a "REAL" sports car. (I wish those that thought like this were closer I would love to show them some tail lights)

It was stated before Ford should have given us some type of 'tiptronic' to manually shift if wanted. Agreed 100% and I understand some known tuners are working this right now.
It was stated before when manually shifting there is a delay when down shifting, Try stomping the throttle when you do this, mine down shifts right NOW and it can be down right scary breaking the tires loose in a corner but most aren't playin with as many ponies as I am so it's a simple down shift and RPM raise.

Manuals have a place as do autos! A well set up auto will beat 90% of all manuals out there 100% of the time, because they are consistant and you can keep both hands on the wheel when the curves get fun!
But I would love shifting flippers on each side the wheel, someday.. (soon lol)

05SDI

Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Scottyb825

As far as doing stuff while you're driving you'll develope your own way. I'm able to shift, eat, and drink all at the same time. Usally with the cup between my legs, sandwhich in my lap, and inbetween shifts I eat or drink. Probably not the safest thing but that my technique for multitasking with a manual.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

i love the stick... hate it in traffic sometimes..... but a mustang isn't really a mustang without a stick! IMO
Old 10-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

they only downside of having a stick is you can't get tore-up at the bar and then rely on your girlfriend to drive you home unless you've taught her how to drive a 5 spd!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 02 Stang

Alright, I don't know if some of you remember ... But I made a post a few weeks ago about the Mustang GT/CS. About all I have left to decide on this car is whether I want a manual or an auto. Isn't there something wrong with the Manuals? Something electrical, can't remember what it is but I think it involves the clutch???

What do you reccomend for ALOT of city and highway driving, Auto or Manual? I will likely never take this car to the track, and will definately not mod the engine. The most I am going to do is 5% tint.
the only 'electrical' thing involved would be the clutch pedal switch. Sort of like a nuetral saftey switch on an auto. If the switch was bad it would keep the car from starting since the car would think the clutch is not being depressed. It's a simple fix by any dealer.

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual?