Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 AM
carnut
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Auto or Manual?

i dont even have my license yet and the only cars ive ever driven are all manuals. the only auto i ever drove was parking my moms station wagon. yeah sure it was a lot easier to parallel park but that was definitely the only advantage i saw to it. when i hear automatic i usually think of my grandmother lol.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Mus tang

I was in your position a couple of months ago. I wanted a stick but the wife was really giving me hell so I went with the auto.(needed her for the loan). Now every time I drive it I kick myself in the a$$!
Old 10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Having reread this post, it just seems like it comes down to personal preference. I will not say it's "not a sports car" for not being a manual tranny car, all Mustangs are sporty cars, some, because of engine, suspension and brakes are a little more sporty from the factory than others. I was weened on manual transmission-ed cars, never drove an auto(other than other people's cars on occasion)
for over 18 years(1981-1999). Bought an automatic truck in '99 and thought it was a revelation(initially), but it made me lazy,
complacent and just a "commuter", instead of a "driver"(people, this is just my opinion). I traded in my '05 GT(stick) for an '06 GT when the Labor Day sale took place in late August(lower payments, better equipped car, win-win). I nearly settled for an auto GT because the dealership I bought the '05 from couldn't locate the stick-shift car I wanted(color-wise). Was about to get a white with charcoal leather GT auto(they were also gonna throw in 18" Fanblades in the deal), test drove it, and yes, the power difference isn't noticeable, but the reminder of how much reliance on the brakes is required and the a lack of vehicle control made me go elsewhere to find my current car. Yes an auto can be made as fast as a stick shift-car, but you're already $1500 in the hole($1000 tranny option and $400.00 for a tuner plus tax). I think what most people are saying is that autos are more consistant(duh!, let's see...no shifting required, just hang on and steer!) than a stick car in a drag race, well, how many times will a person be in that situation? Bottom line?
I would rather own an auto Mustang GT than other so called performance cars, but if stick shift is an alternative, that's my choice.
Just was weened on having vehicle control, to tell you the truth, the first time I drove an automatic car, I nearly $h1t my pants! I applied the brake, selected "drive" and the damn thing started moving on it's own, without stepping on the accelerator! Scared me to death, of course I got over that quickly, but the thoughts of the movie "Christine"(which had just been released at the time), where the car consumes the kid's persona just creeped me out. My experience, my preference and I understand that other's have their's too.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:59 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

I vote for manual, more control over what it's doing.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:39 PM
PhotonSabreX

Buy a manual. The benefits are tremendous.

1. You have much better control over the car. Just like someone said just a bit ago, YOU drive the car, as opposed to the car driving you. Whenever I go back to driving an automatic for whatever reason, I never truly feel like I'm in charge of driving the car. I feel more in tune with the road and my surroundings, too. Driving a stick just makes you a better driver in general.

2. I know that most of us don't drive our cars for efficiency purposes, but in a stick, you can be much more efficient when you need to be for whatever reason (whether you're low on gas or stuck in traffic).

3. Sticks really aren't that hard to drive. I learned how to drive on a stickshift from scratch when I was learning how to drive period, so I might be a little bit biased, but I've heard that for those that are used to driving autos, driving a stick becomes comfortable after just a few weeks. As for me, my foot and hand just move naturally now...including downshifting, shifting through corners, and light clutching in traffic. Pretty soon, you won't even be thinking about clutching, and you won't find it 'annoying' when you're in traffic.

4. Driving a stick impresses people. Particularly the ladies, if you're still on the market.

5. Sticks are less expensive.

6. Driving a stick is infinitely more fun.

I think that most people don't get sticks because they intimidate people. Don't let it intimidate you. If possible, just log some hours on a beater car to get yourself comfortable. Once you're able to clutch smoothly, I guarantee that you'll love it, and traffic won't even be an issue. That's why most of us who drive sticks would never drive any other way. Personally, the only autos I would drive is a large SUV, van, pickup truck, or ghetto cruiser, because sticks don't seem to mesh well with the image of those types of vehicles. Anything else, stick.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the auto. Furture upgrade is a TCI torque Converter with a 3800 stall rate and 3:73 gears. Even without it is still crazy fast.....