Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run-in with local law enforcement

Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Run-in with local law enforcement

ORIGINAL: djl0657

I'm a retired officer from the DC area (Maryland). That does not sound like a prank to me and you are lucky that the driver of the other car didn't get some charges placed against you. I handled hundreds of these types of complaints, usually over the phone at the request of another driver.

He saw you do whatever you did that aroused his attention (the citizen), called the police and was probably offered a number of options. The easiest appears to be the route chosen, that is contacting you and cautioning you about your driving habits. Had the driver or the officer been able to confirm that you personally were the driver of the car, the complaintant (the citizen that called police) may have been able to obtain a series of traffic charges against you by swearing out a complaint to a court official (the officer would not be involved). This would have required the citizen/complaintant to appear in court and testify against you; the police officer would not be required to appear.

I can't speak for other departments and have addressed this in prior posts. Driving a performance car alone will not draw the attention of the police or the public. Driving that car like an idiot will draw that kind of attention and prompt the situation that you describe. If I had to guess (no response required on your part), I would bet that you got angry sped up and did something to show your displeasure with the other driver (the old short stop in front of the car sounds like the correct choice in this case). That is what prompted you to get the call, NOT the mere operation of a MUSTANG.

That's biggest pile of crap I've ever heard. If that was the case I'd be calling my local PD 20 times a day from dip****s with cell phones glued to their ears nearly running people off the road from not paying attention.

Not to mention unless there is proof cops can't do squat. Yeah you know how reliable 'eye witnesses' can be. Sorry but if I decide to cut some jackarse off that nearly runs me off the road from yappin on his cell, I'd tell that cop to either call the jackass too and give him a 'warning' or to stop harassing me. [>:]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

This happened to me as a kid, a cop calls me out of the blue to go in and talk to him. Some old lady (from what I inferred, it was an anonymous tip but he used the word "she") had phoned in and said I was driving recklessly.

He talked tough and lectured me, but, frankly there wasn't anything he could do about it. He hadn't seen anything, and "anonymous phone in tips" don't work well in court as far as evidence.

I had no idea what he was talking about, the best I could think of was passing some a-hole on the paved shoulder because he was towing a trailer witha flat tire and going about 3 mph. I didn't swerver or gun it or do anything a-holeish, I just eased around. Either that, or somebody who didn't like me trying to give me a hassle. But EVERYBODY LIKES ME.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: stratjakt

This happened to me as a kid, a cop calls me out of the blue to go in and talk to him. Some old lady (from what I inferred, it was an anonymous tip but he used the word "she") had phoned in and said I was driving recklessly.

He talked tough and lectured me, but, frankly there wasn't anything he could do about it. He hadn't seen anything, and "anonymous phone in tips" don't work well in court as far as evidence.

I had no idea what he was talking about, the best I could think of was passing some a-hole on the paved shoulder because he was towing a trailer witha flat tire and going about 3 mph. I didn't swerver or gun it or do anything a-holeish, I just eased around. Either that, or somebody who didn't like me trying to give me a hassle. But EVERYBODY LIKES ME.
He was just doing that to put the 'scare of god' into you. I grew up with law enforcement in my family. You'd be surprised at what they can get out of people just out of the 'fear' of what will happen.

Oh and the fact the cop SAW you (Swensicle) AND had a complaining witness...that's another story. then it's a coberating (spelling) eye witness. WAY different than just hearsay or a citizen complaint. Mebe you do need to watch yourself [&:]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

A similar thing happened to my father. It is a simple process, all somebody needs to do is get your license plate number and send it into the cops. They can then see who the vehicle is registered to.
even if that's the case, they still can't do squat. All you have to say if push comes to shove, "it wasn't me driving it" In a court of law you have a right to face your accuser and since the officer never saw you he wouldnt' have a clue what you look like or if it was you in the car. Now if you damaged property, that's another story.

Not to mention you forgot one thing..they called his CELL phone. not a home phone.

The dude was just trying to scare you / prank you. ... better yet, Call the number back that popped up on your Cell number.
I never said the cop did anything about it, you are right they can't do anything because they can't prove it. But they CAN get your number and call you just to scare you (if you let them).

Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I guess after twenty six years as an officer, I don't know what I am talking about here.

In Maryland, a person with a complaint has the option to go to a court commissioner and swear out a complaint against another driver (IF that person has proof that they know exactly who was driving at the time). A traffic summons COULD be issued if the court commissioner feels that an offense occurred and then the driver would be served at a later time. A court date would appear on that document and the driver would be required to appear before a judge in traffic court.

It is RARELY done, as it would clog up the traffic court. Most people that witness driving that upsets them call and request that the officer talk to the driver and warn him. No record is sent to MOTOR VEHICLE and the issue is done at the moment the phone is hung up.

Many of the dispatchers for the police can talk to the complaintant and calm that person and eliminate the need for police action. Bottom line, most people do NOT want to take the time to appear in court. That is why 99 percent of these complaints are handled over the phone with NO resulting enforcement.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I have no doubt that if he really did see me do something that he would be able to ticket me even if he was off duty the other day. I am not the guy that usually screws around...at least not in town....and I don't speed recklessly for the fun of it.

The retired officer towards the top of the post pretty much nailed it. I was upset with a dork that pulled in front of me and thought I would let my exhaust do the talking for me. Dude on his cell phone in a 4cyl must have had his call interupted by my car and thought it was worthwhile to call me in.

Silver Mistress guy....are you claiming that your car is a GT?...if so, why would you do everything to it to look like a 6er if driving a GT isn't an eye-catcher for police and the public?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Mardav

What DJL said +1 ...Here in Florida any citizen can swear out a complaint against you by filing with the County Court Clerk. As Dave said, the complainant must appear in court and swear that you were the operator of the vehicle in order to get a conviction.

An employee of mine was sideswiped when she was caught in a long line of cars waiting to get off the expressway on a trip to the beach a few months ago when some guy drove down the shoulder of the road and knocked the mirror off her SUV. She saw the same guy at a gas station a little while later checking out the damage to his car and took his picture with her cell phone, got his tag number, then called the police. The guy was long gone when the cops showed up about 45 minutes later, but she swore out a complaint and ended up getting reimbursed by the guy and he got convicted for careless driving and leaving the scene of an accident, it cost him about $300 in fines plus $100 to replace her electric mirror.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Very good explanation dj.

Do you drive sprints?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I knew he was just trying to "scare me straight", even at the time. I was polite and respectful, always have been with cops, but it was pissin' me off something fierce inside.

I've always been a responsible driver, even in high school, I was never the dork doing burnouts and showing off, etc. I mean, I've done some irresponsible things in and out of cars, but on the road I've always been the straight-laced hands at 10 and 2 kind of guy.

djl is right, not just in traffic cases, but in almost all phoned in complaints. When you realize you have to miss work and sit in a courtroom all day, suddenly the fact that your neighbours dog took a steamer on your lawn doesnt seem like that big of a deal.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

NO, I don't try to make it look like a GT??? It's not. What you see is what I bought, no fancy wheels or any other mods. I love my V-6 and I love the GTs also. I've been driving MUSTANGS since I learned to drive in one in 1968.

I guess you want me to quietly go back to "the other side" now (the V-6 side). Sorry I strayed into your "turf".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run-in with local law enforcement