Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run-in with local law enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default Run-in with local law enforcement

I respect what these guys do very much and have never been "lippy" with one that has pulled me over. Anyway, I roll back to work this afternoon and I get a call on my cell shortly after sitting down at my desk. Hi, this is officer blah blah blah and I received a call that you were driving recklessly.

A guy had pulled out in front of me and so at the next light a nailed it to get in front of him and had very minor squealage. Apparently the combination of that and my loud exhaust deemed it enough reason for him to call the cops. Also, the cop says he lives near where I work and he had seen me yesterday doing something similar.

"If I ever catch you doing this stuff again you'll be going to court.....blah blah blah blah blah"

I guess that's what we deserve for driving mustangs....if it was a grand prix like everyone else it would have been no problem.

The funny part is I think I could have snapped this cop like a twig. He must have been barely pushing a buck twenty.

- - Regardless, I know I was speeding and admitted it right away.....am I the only one?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Run-in with local law enforcement

ORIGINAL: swensicle

I respect what these guys do very much and have never been "lippy" with one that has pulled me over. Anyway, I roll back to work this afternoon and I get a call on my cell shortly after sitting down at my desk. Hi, this is officer blah blah blah and I received a call that you were driving recklessly.

A guy had pulled out in front of me and so at the next light a nailed it to get in front of him and had very minor squealage. Apparently the combination of that and my loud exhaust deemed it enough reason for him to call the cops. Also, the cop says he lives near where I work and he had seen me yesterday doing something similar.

"If I ever catch you doing this stuff again you'll be going to court.....blah blah blah blah blah"

I guess that's what we deserve for driving mustangs....if it was a grand prix like everyone else it would have been no problem.

The funny part is I think I could have snapped this cop like a twig. He must have been barely pushing a buck twenty.

- - Regardless, I know I was speeding and admitted it right away.....am I the only one?
Um...ask yourself this question....how did he get your number #1?

someone was pranking you or knew who you were and decided to call you and scare/indimidate you. Next time the bitch calls, ask him for his name and badge number. I guarantee they'll either hang up on you or give you bogus info.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

haha i dont think so!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

how do you know he weighs approx. 120lbs....i might have missed
something...

anyhoo the pos that called the popo on you is a pathetic little
turd...

let's keep the stang on the gentle side when your around your place
of employment.....don't want you to get into hot water with
el heffe'

Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Uhhh...I...think...someone...pulled....your....cha in....this does not sound like right. Lets ask some Law Enforcement Officers on the forum...what do you think?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:10 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

A similar thing happened to my father. It is a simple process, all somebody needs to do is get your license plate number and send it into the cops. They can then see who the vehicle is registered to.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

A similar thing happened to my father. It is a simple process, all somebody needs to do is get your license plate number and send it into the cops. They can then see who the vehicle is registered to.
even if that's the case, they still can't do squat. All you have to say if push comes to shove, "it wasn't me driving it" In a court of law you have a right to face your accuser and since the officer never saw you he wouldnt' have a clue what you look like or if it was you in the car. Now if you damaged property, that's another story.

Not to mention you forgot one thing..they called his CELL phone. not a home phone.

The dude was just trying to scare you / prank you. ... better yet, Call the number back that popped up on your Cell number.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I'm a retired officer from the DC area (Maryland). That does not sound like a prank to me and you are lucky that the driver of the other car didn't get some charges placed against you. I handled hundreds of these types of complaints, usually over the phone at the request of another driver.

He saw you do whatever you did that aroused his attention (the citizen), called the police and was probably offered a number of options. The easiest appears to be the route chosen, that is contacting you and cautioning you about your driving habits. Had the driver or the officer been able to confirm that you personally were the driver of the car, the complaintant (the citizen that called police) may have been able to obtain a series of traffic charges against you by swearing out a complaint to a court official (the officer would not be involved). This would have required the citizen/complaintant to appear in court and testify against you; the police officer would not be required to appear.

I can't speak for other departments and have addressed this in prior posts. Driving a performance car alone will not draw the attention of the police or the public. Driving that car like an idiot will draw that kind of attention and prompt the situation that you describe. If I had to guess (no response required on your part), I would bet that you got angry sped up and did something to show your displeasure with the other driver (the old short stop in front of the car sounds like the correct choice in this case). That is what prompted you to get the call, NOT the mere operation of a MUSTANG.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

+1^ Derf00

Yeah, they usually never take those calls seriously. People can call in for any reason at all then. Say you dont like your friends new BMW, you could call his plate in and the police would scold him or put it on his record. It just doesn't work like that. There has to be reasonable evidence put forth as well as enough calls for them to actually take any action what so ever. And even in that case, the most you can get is a warning. Technically only officers can issue tickets and so unless it was the officer himself who caught you, hes not gonna, rather he cant do anything about it based on what someone ELSE saw.

Really doesnt seem very professional for a law enf officer to call you on your cell phone, claim someone else saw you, then he's seen you a few times break the law and didnt do anything about it and then threaten you. Something seems fishy here.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:23 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Actually the cop himself called me.

Here's what happened.

The guys called the cops and must have given them my plate number or just that I was driving a black GT. Then, I get a call on my cell...."restricted number" and it was the cop who was standing out in the parking lot by my car and he asked me to come out and talk to him. I admitted I was speeding etc., but can't believe someone would call me in for that. Then the cop said he lived in the area and that he had seen me a day before.

Quick Reply: Run-in with local law enforcement