Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Burn out, Good God!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default Burn out, Good God!

Mannn, I tried a burn out today for the first time with TC off. (never can remember to turn it off) Good God I just sat there and spun like I was doing a break stand or something. I mean I had to look around to see if I was just moving so fast I didnt notice or if I was moving at all.

Since the car gets so loud when you get on it I could not hear the tire squeal but I soon saw the smoke from the tires as I FINALLY started to do the fish tail thing.

Well, I guess its suspension work also on the list for next years mods! I will try one more later to confirm just how badly I spun. If this is any indication of what I will do at the track I guess I will run 18's lol

Geeez, not like I'm pushing 400 hp or anything!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Burn out, Good God!

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Mannn, I tried a burn out today for the first time with TC off. (never can remember to turn it off) Good God I just sat there and spun like I was doing a break stand or something. I mean I had to look around to see if I was just moving so fast I didnt notice or if I was moving at all.
Well, I guess its suspension work also on the list for next years mods! I will try one more later to confirm just how badly I spun. If this is any indication of what I will do at the track I guess I will run 18's lol
Sounds like me last weekend at the track... I knew I was in for it (stock tires+SC= tire smoke), but could not wait for the real rubber to show up - that might have been my last shot at the track for this season unless some things get moved around...

2 second 60' times starting from near idle were the order of the day - any RPMs and the only thing moving was the tach...

I am sure I could do better (a lot better - I sucked all day), with some practice on this setup, but frankly it is a little like perfecting a face-plant - what's the point?

Short version (should not be a surprise) - get some real rubber - stock tires are there to hold the car up when you buy it...
Old 10-05-2006, 02:57 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Cekem--
Short version (should not be a surprise) - get some real rubber - stock tires are there to hold the car up when you buy it...
I can just see you at that track now buddy. What would you consider "real rubber" (brands) and what does real rubber cost? Also, Will real rubber hold up as a daily driver?

Oh, it was a surprise to me because I never ever did a burn out with the TC off before. Traction Control really does help control traction! lol Help as in its intended purpose, not for us speed heads!!

Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 03:43 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Oh, it was a surprise to me because I never ever did a burn out without the TC off before. Traction Control really does help control traction! lol
"help" might not be the right word - it does what it says to some extent, but I wouldn't call it helpful...

On my last run of the day, there were more starts and stops in the staging lanes than usual... On the last engine start, I forgot to turn off the TCS and managed to stink up the track and the mustang name with a 14 second pass (wasn't me - didn't do it - going out to paint my car another color so that you won't know it was me)...

I realized when I hit 2nd why I was going so slow... by that time it was too late... (and it didn't help much with 1st - still roasted the tires pretty well)...

What would you consider "real rubber" (brands) and what does real rubber cost? Also, Will real rubber hold up as a daily driver?
I would search around and consult those with more recent experience - I am still catching up myself, but generally speaking, I wouldn't bother trying to get tires that wore reasonably on the street and stuck on the track. Even with the new compunds - IMHO you are better off a dedicated drag radial (usual suspects - MT, Nitto, BFG) that you have on a spare set of rims. For example the nitto 555Rs have a tread-wear rating of 100 vs the typical 400+ of a "street" tire...

The 555s (no R) have a treadwear rating of 300. So, you CAN compromise, but in the long run you will pay for it either way in replaced tires (and poor ETs).

True slicks bring new issues (safety requirements, race classes, drive-line breakage, etc...), so I am not going that far with this particular car (drag and vert is not a good mix)...

Having a set of dedicated rims also means you can have your nice big slow rims on the street and smaller faster rims on the track.

Driving around town I had not noticed too much of a traction problem with stock tires - I might get some 18x10" rims on the rear (for the street) at some point, but not feeling like the car is going to kill me in the mean time...

Anyone with some more recent experience feel free to step in and flame away, but my choice has come down to the Nitto vs MT and form there it is cost & availability...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:44 PM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

Tires are still virgins.......

Need more miles on the engine first, then spin city.