Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Painted Stripes vs. Decal Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM
BLackie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Painted Stripes vs. Decal Stripes

Great color choice. Not a big fan of stripe design. Besides that paiting is the way to go. Good job
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'm in MA, which dealership BTW? First of all dealerships have no clue on how to apply vinyl; especially large pieces and applying over contours. There should be no particles underneath and none will appear later. What they probably have is air bubbles under the vinyl which is simply the result of a lack of experience in the application process. All vinyl stripe kits should be applied by a reputable vinyl graphics shop, if you want quality.

I helped out in my bro's vinyl graphics shop for about two years; I would never put vinyl stripes on a GT unless you are just testing for what you would plan to do in paint. It's a cheap look, it's dull, it fades. This car is too nice for that. The vinyl is for truck lettering.

I like GT's w/o stripes: JMO. Too many striped mustangs around GT and V6. ...seems much cleaner w/o stripes IMO.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:27 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

For only $600 dam, that's a good deal but I would rather of had them in them in the paint and cleared.

Looks like they did a great job with it though!

-Jeff
Old 10-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Rolland
1st Gear Member

I kind of like my vinyls
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well then they have a very, very, very dirty work area! I did mine outside under a carport of all things and I only have two specs of dirt under one of the roof stripes. I've thought about replacing that one since I have an extra piece, but it's not worth the trouble.

as long as you properly clean the area BEFORE applying EACH stripe you shouldn't have a problem, especially if you have a garage.

ORIGINAL: saltzy

Ford dealer here in MA quoted me $800 for painted Shelby-type stripes on my 06 vert. He said every-single-one of the cars they've done with the stick-on stripes come back for removal because of bubbles from particles under the stickers no matter how good they try to clean the car beforehand. Not sure if he was pulling my leg, but I decided I like my GT plain and went with neither.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

there are plenty of cheap parts on this nice car, vinyl ain't gonna make it any cheaper. You're a paint snob.
ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I'm in MA, which dealership BTW? First of all dealerships have no clue on how to apply vinyl; especially large pieces and applying over contours. There should be no particles underneath and none will appear later. What they probably have is air bubbles under the vinyl which is simply the result of a lack of experience in the application process. All vinyl stripe kits should be applied by a reputable vinyl graphics shop, if you want quality.

I helped out in my bro's vinyl graphics shop for about two years; I would never put vinyl stripes on a GT unless you are just testing for what you would plan to do in paint. It's a cheap look, it's dull, it fades. This car is too nice for that. The vinyl is for truck lettering.

I like GT's w/o stripes: JMO. Too many striped mustangs around GT and V6. ...seems much cleaner w/o stripes IMO.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292
I'm in MA, which dealership BTW?
It was Harr Ford in Worcester. I've seen their body and paint work and their shop with 3 paint dryers/ovens. But I have no idea where they're doing the vinyl stripes to get these particles underneath. OTOH, the guy might have been upselling me to the painted ones and we all know how truthful dealerships can be...
Old 10-06-2006, 04:40 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

dude, why not 2 racing stripses?? that this so big.. but sure paints looks awesome....
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM
01RobGT
1st Gear Member

I have vinyl. Wish i had painted but the car does look dam good long as you get all the wax off edges of the stripe and clear 3M bra. PITA waxing with both of those collecting wax along the edges.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

I put mine on myself, took my time and no dirt or anything like that stuck under the stripes. They are pretty much perfect, and it cost a hundered bucks for the stripe kit and thats all.

Quick Reply: Painted Stripes vs. Decal Stripes