Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CMCV question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

Default CMCV question...

I searched and found a couple short threads on these plates....I am thinking about getting them, shoot the ford racing ones are $95 and they are supposed to be good for at least 5-8 rwhp...that aint bad for $95...

Question for those who have them....how long did it take to install, looks fairly simple and how do you like them.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CMCV question...

They worked great. I got mine from PMP, $85.00 shipped to my door.

Install took about 45 min and was very simple. It should have been much faster, but during the install I had a beetle fly under the hood, whereafter it promptly fell down one of the intake ports. It took me several minutes to fish the stupid bug out of there before I re-assembled everything.

You need an updated tune for the CMCP plates, otherwise the ECU will start throwing codes and you won't see the HP gain.

One thing to be careful of though (in addition to beetles): These come in the original Ford packaging, which isn't very good. Mine had a couple of nicks on the sealing surface from where the two plates had banged into each other during shipping. There was only one little piece of bubble wrap inside the FORD box--not enough to prevent them from banging around in there. Anyway, point is that nicks on a sealing surface could make a vacuum leak. So, inspect your plates and if need be clean them up with a file (carefully) before installation.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

So was the gain noticable? I mean seat of the pants noticible.

I was thinking I would wait to do these and do them at the same time I did UDPs just to make sure I felt the difference. It makes me feel better about spending money =)

The reports I have seen have showed between 11-15 HP and about the same torque gain. SO these +UDP should get me +20/20 (Maybe +17/17). A nice healthy jump for the price. The main concern I have though is the dyno sheets I have seen with these installed all had headers installed as well. I might not see the same gains with the factory exhaust....

Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I installed the CMCP and UDP at the same time. I definatley noticed the difference, though I do have headers on my car.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

I gained 2 mph and dropped .1 off my et.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u

I gained 2 mph and dropped .1 off my et.

What other mods did you have when you put these on?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

hey then its settled for the price cant go wrong...and only a 45 minutes install...sweet...for me the underdrives were a pain in the a$$, the crank bolt is on there GOOD..i put a breaker bar on the bolt, then put the bar to the ground and used the starter to torque the bolt off otherwise the engine just keep turning...in any case i am rambling

ohh and the beetle story is classic
Old 10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Is there anything that would be a challenge to set the car back to stock for warranty work if needed? any tedious calibration of the stock pieces?

I am still very courious about if these will give the same gains without headers if anyone has installed them without headers.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

I dont have any headers yet but i am going to give them a go
Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Just to drop in here.. but I was looking into these several months ago.. and I read several articles and forums about them.
It looks to add about 5 HP on the top end, but at a direct loss in torgue on the low end.
the reason these are in our stangs is to better atomize/mix the gas and air at low rpm's... so they are actually helping us.
If you race frequently, or run your stang in high rpms often, then go for it, but if it is mostly a daily driver, you may feel a little loss in the 2-4k range..

best luck either way

Quick Reply: CMCV question...