Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen Supercharger install with Pics

Old 10-06-2006, 12:26 AM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen Supercharger install with Pics

Greetings all

I just had the pleasure of installing the saleen series VI supercharger on my 06 Mustang GT..
First off... Awesome!

Anyone who is considering saving up(or charging) for one of these... DO IT!
It is like driving a video game. Crazy power, but extremely smooth and feels totaly stock until you step on it... I've heard people say this before, but it is out of this world.

For people considering this without any experience... seriously, if you can follow directions, have a decent tool belt, and a friend that can lend a hand.. It is absolutly DIY.
With very little mechanical experience, I was able to do the entire job in 9 hours. I do recomend doing it is stages.. i.e. take-off one day, install the next.

Also, I can't speak to the saleen PCM flash, but JDM's tune is the bomb..

After taking a 240 mile road trip after the install, my gas mileage was completely uneffected.. only in-town suffers... he he.
and of course my tires no longer like me..

After looking for good pics on the net to assist my install, and not really finding any.. I tried to take pics along the way for the install, and slapped together a site with all the photos.

Feel free to follow through it if you are looking for a little help on the install. I even noted a few of the things to look out for as you go.

the install can be found here: saleen supercharger install

Any questions, feel free to drop me a line, or post a reply..
cheers, Matt

[IMG]local://upfiles/34739/0AE4D88FA6604AF795F82982ADB1E7B8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Supercharger install with Pics

great write up and i hope you receive contributor
status for this...

thanks for sharing your experience
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

how are you likin the 4.10's with the Saleen? I've heard that its too much gear for the a FI car, that first becomes useless. Your opinions?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 AM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

hmmm, i've been thinking about this very question... daily driving is no problem with them, but when you are hammering it, you do go from 2k-6k in like a nano-second.. I've never worried about pegging my tach before, but now it is a real issue.. (JDM has the redline set at 6800 I believe)
I would say if you don't already have the gears, try without them first, you will likely be satisfied.. those with them.. I can't say for sure, but they are a little quick.. possibly a bit too quick.
In hind sight, I don't think I would install them again if I knew I was going to FI it gight away... but I don't race yet either, so it really depends on what your plan is.
With slicks I would guess you'd be fine, but I'm just not a slicks guy yet..
Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I'm glad you joined the Saleen club lol
Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 AM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

beleive it of not, reading several of your posts actually helped push me here.. oh yah, and having a near loss to a SRT-4.. that helped too...
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

lol I feel the same excitement you do about it. It was fun before, but it sure is a different beast now! Congratulations! I've noticed the more power your car has, the more you have to respect it
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I've got 3.55's and first is a blur! The other problem is that you seem a lot busier now and looking at the tach isn't all that easy or safe.

I don't know what happens when you hit the rev limiter, but on mine the fuel shuts 100% off. Not fun from full throttle. Could even be dangerous. If it only shuts the fuel partially off, like stock, it's even worse, you'll go lean and probably detonate under heavy throttle, boost, and rpm. Bad.

I'm installing a Raptor shift light this weekend to help me keep off the rev limiter. Small, cheap, programmable, easy to see without taking my eyes off the road.

Enjoy that supercharger! Great job installing it!

Like everyone who has one says, it's a different car!

ORIGINAL: 5StangsandCounting

hmmm, i've been thinking about this very question... daily driving is no problem with them, but when you are hammering it, you do go from 2k-6k in like a nano-second.. I've never worried about pegging my tach before, but now it is a real issue.. (JDM has the redline set at 6800 I believe)
I would say if you don't already have the gears, try without them first, you will likely be satisfied.. those with them.. I can't say for sure, but they are a little quick.. possibly a bit too quick.
In hind sight, I don't think I would install them again if I knew I was going to FI it gight away... but I don't race yet either, so it really depends on what your plan is.
With slicks I would guess you'd be fine, but I'm just not a slicks guy yet..
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 AM
againstallodds1

I purchased mine monday. I got the Saleen blower with the stage 2 upgrade kit. Its supposed to put me at around 450whp and 420 ft lbs. I will be picking it up from JDM probably monday. I have to wait for them to get the coolant hoses for the 07's. They are a little different than the 05 - 06's. After that I will be dropping the car off at my mechanics shop for him to do the install.
The only concern I have is that I heard that JDM likes to run their cars lean. I dont want to have to worry about my motor.
I will be taking the car back to JDM on the dyno to make sure the A/F is good.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

DUDE!!! YOU TOTALLY FU(K!NG ROCK!!!!
Thanks for the site. That was a very good idea to do for those of us that have been considering a self install of the Saleen S/C.

MUCH THANKS MAN!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saleen Supercharger install with Pics