Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Snow water/meth install

Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Snow water/meth install

would be very interested to see your #'s. I was thinking of this kit with my non-intercooled S/C. But was told it can fail and with the adjusted timing coulc blow the motor. Alt Auto runs and alcohol only kit I was thinking of as well. They get huge #'s out of it with a Vortech. keep us updated.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Having the injection fail under high boost would not be a good thing. Of course there are many things that could fail under those circumstances that would not be good. Is this adding another one, yes. I think sticking with a quality product and taking extra precautions during installation (like sealing things and soldering connections) will help minimize the risks.

Some people are willing to take more risks than others. Some SC's come with warranties and moderate power, others with no warranty and more power.

If it performs as it is supposed to, I think the benefit is worth the trouble and risk.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MR.Mustang

Can't remember when or who put one of these snow kits on their supercharged 05 GT and had catrostrophic engine damage. Are you using this kit to increase boost say for a day at the track? Or are you wanting to leave in more timing for a more aggresive driving tune? I recall the user of this product strongly suggesting not to use this with out forged internals.

I personally have no experice with FI so I am not speaking as an athourity but I just thought I would tell you about another member's experience. I hope it works well for you!

That would be me =-/ .. still rebuilding too.. I have heard of a few people running it fine.. but getting a good tuner is what matters.. my tuner told me he did these before. If he did then he leared nothing. If your car is jerking on the dyno then your flooding the engine. Dont let them keeps stepping on the gas when its doing that. Also there is no way you should see water drop from the TB! My tuners told me it was condensation and not to worry.. I was dumb enough to believe him. After spending months trying to find out what happened you want to look for a good placement and make sure your using the right nozzle and there is a little filter? I think in there that has to be placed right or it will not give a fine spray and puddle up. Also to they told me there is a setting at the top to control the flow? I have not looked at mine in a while.. Maybe you can can take pics of it.. What does yoru setup look like justastockmustang?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
e_pad
1st Gear Member

I used basically the same kit on my old STi. I would definately get it dyno-tuned by someone that has done it before. I also would use at least 50% water. Snow sells premixed stuff that is 49% meth 51% water. Staight meth is really nasty ****e. Will eat the paint off your car and rubber hoses. But with 49% thaey say it is not toxic.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I have stayed conservative on the nozzle size since I already have an intercooler and have started with the 20 percent meth mixture. I have the MAF activated controller so it is not dependant on boost and is progressive. I have it adjusted so it is already spraying when I hit boost. The snow nozzles have filters, but some of their QC lacks. I had to re-tap the nozzle-holder and clean off the incorrect sealer that was pre-applied to the supplied fittings. The mounting hardware was crap, and they state that their controller is ok for the under hood environment but it is not sealed, so mounting location is important. The pump is a Shure-Flo and I'm not sure about its ability to withstand the elements, it wasn't made for that. Generally I am happy.

I have not retuned. My goal was to be able to run 12psi on 93 without a retune, not to try to extract a few more HP from the meth and that seems successful. Time will tell.

Under normal driving the water/meth does not kick in. Under hard acceleration, it's in before the boost. I installed the indicator LED right next to my boost gauge and have been keeping a very close eye on when it activates.

So far I have not had any ping or detonation. Our weather has cooled and I did not try 12psi before this kit, but I know there would have been NO way as I was often close to ping at 9psi.

There has been no stumble or any other problems.

I am very aware of what could happen should the water/meth injection fail. I paid extra attention to all wiring, soldering connections wherever possible, using dielectric grease on connectors, and added a dedicated key-on relay and fuse. I am planning to add a spray-pressure alarm in the near future.

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

ORIGINAL: MR.Mustang

Can't remember when or who put one of these snow kits on their supercharged 05 GT and had catrostrophic engine damage. Are you using this kit to increase boost say for a day at the track? Or are you wanting to leave in more timing for a more aggresive driving tune? I recall the user of this product strongly suggesting not to use this with out forged internals.

I personally have no experice with FI so I am not speaking as an athourity but I just thought I would tell you about another member's experience. I hope it works well for you!

That would be me =-/ .. still rebuilding too.. I have heard of a few people running it fine.. but getting a good tuner is what matters.. my tuner told me he did these before. If he did then he leared nothing. If your car is jerking on the dyno then your flooding the engine. Dont let them keeps stepping on the gas when its doing that. Also there is no way you should see water drop from the TB! My tuners told me it was condensation and not to worry.. I was dumb enough to believe him. After spending months trying to find out what happened you want to look for a good placement and make sure your using the right nozzle and there is a little filter? I think in there that has to be placed right or it will not give a fine spray and puddle up. Also to they told me there is a setting at the top to control the flow? I have not looked at mine in a while.. Maybe you can can take pics of it.. What does yoru setup look like justastockmustang?