Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch pack upgrade#2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
godfather_go3
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch pack upgrade#2

Don't know if this info was posted before, however, I took my 06 GT to the dealer for clutch pack noise at 6000, miles, he said give it another couple thousand and if the noise is still there we will install an "up-graded" C-pack. well 6 weeks later at aprox 8500 miles. I went back, they said bring it in Wednesday the 11th, he went on to tell me its a good thing we did not change it 6 weeks ago, I asked why, he said as of "2 weeks" ago he has been receiving new packs, that have been up-graded "again". gees, and I thought they fixed this problem when it was found in some '05 s. Any way, I picked up the car today with the up-grade #2, car is real quiet now
Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch pack upgrade#2

Thanks for the heads up, I need to take mine in there for the same thing @ 6800 miles. The new upgrade doesn't surprise me though.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Sorry but your dealer is telling you a bunch of BS, these are the same clutch packs that have been used in Mustangs since '86 and the same as what has come in trucks with 8.8s for years also. The only difference is some rearends didn't get the friction modifier they were supposed to. The only different clutch packs come in 03-04 Cobras and the GT500s due to the increased torque the engines make.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

How much does a clutch pack run. Mine has started squeaking lately around sharp corners at lower speeds and its probably safe to assume that my 4.10s triggered it.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

The clutch packs are cheap and if you want a cheap way to upgrade your differential then use the single best of your old friction discs and replace one of the steel plates from the new clutch pack with that friction plate and buy an S spring from a late 80s early 90s F150 with an 8.8 with LSD from your Ford dealership. The F150 spring has more tension and causes the rearend to lock up harder. These are old but proven tricks.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:45 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

Sorry but your dealer is telling you a bunch of BS, these are the same clutch packs that have been used in Mustangs since '86 and the same as what has come in trucks with 8.8s for years also. The only difference is some rearends didn't get the friction modifier they were supposed to. The only different clutch packs come in 03-04 Cobras and the GT500s due to the increased torque the engines make.
and they are teh same junk that has been used since 86, my buddies mach 1 broke at 15k
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232
and they are teh same junk that has been used since 86, my buddies mach 1 broke at 15k
Clutch packs don't break they wear out, that is what is in question here. Spider gears break and they only break because they are subjected to punishment the factory never intended such as sticky tires on the dragstrip or a lot more HP.

Be glad we don't have a junk rearend like what came in F-bodies, the only thing to do with it is scrap it. At least an 8.8 has a lot of potential.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 PM
godfather_go3
1st Gear Member

I hope you are correct that the dealer gave me a lota BS about the clutch packs being the #2 upgrade, perhaps he was making it sound like he was doing something special for me because he found out from Ford about the letter I wrote them condeming the dealership., come to think about it when I went to get the car they said it was in the back being washed + windows cleaned inside and out because they know I would like it clean.hmmm, sounds like a lota @ss kissin to me.Maybe writing complains to Ford really does work.............if not just a little.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:32 AM
1ARIDE

I had mine replaced about 3 weeks ago. It run tighter, no more noised and even chirp........lol But from time to time i still listen to see if it make anymore noises.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

why do you need a clutch pack? i hear a little clunk going into 3rd gear

Quick Reply: Clutch pack upgrade#2