Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mezier Electric Water Pump w/Single Steeda UPD??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 PM
tedjac06GT

Default Mezier Electric Water Pump w/Single Steeda UPD??

I got this setup and haven't installed it yet. Anyone out there running this combo? How was the install? Anythin to watch out for? What about performance after the install... noticable increase in power? Any problems or "beware ofs" with this set-up? My car is an '06 GT Auto w/3.73 gears, K&N CAI, Brenspeed tune. Thanks.
Ted
Old 10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mezier Electric Water Pump w/Single Steeda UPD??

Hi Ted,

I had the Mezier eH2O pump installed and on the dyno this one change was good for 8-11RWHP dependin on RPM. Th EH2o and pulley combo is good for a solid 10-12RWHP which you may or may not really feel. This is a straight orward easy install requiring some minor electrical skill, a DVM and ordinary automotive hand tools.
Nothing to beware of just make sure that where ever you get the trigger voltage for your relay that it goes off with the ignition key or you will have a dead battery.

Cheers/Chip

ORIGINAL: tedjac06GT

I got this setup and haven't installed it yet. Anyone out there running this combo? How was the install? Anythin to watch out for? What about performance after the install... noticable increase in power? Any problems or "beware ofs" with this set-up? My car is an '06 GT Auto w/3.73 gears, K&N CAI, Brenspeed tune. Thanks.
Ted
Old 10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Install is straight forward. Nothing major with it. Hell, if you are good you can pull one pump and stab the other and only lose about a quart of coolant.

Let me give you the most valuable hint anyone can offer. Get yourself a piece of 3M automotive tape, roll it up in to a ball, and put it inside the head of the bolt you are going to put in to the bottom of the pump. Stick the bolt on the end of your ball end alan wrench, put the bolt in. Piece of cake. Otherwise, you will be old and gray before you get the bolt in.

Oh, and make sure you have the correct length belt for the setup. Because you are going with the underdrive crank pulley you cannot use your stock belt. If memory serves me you will need a 99 1/2" belt for that setup.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:17 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Hey Ted, I have that combo. Works well, the only problem is getting the bottom bolt in on the electric water pump. I had to make up a special tool to install it. I installed the relay against the passenger side firewall and worked forward to the pump. Also the bolt on the stock damper is a little tricky to get to break loose. I suggest pulling the fan out, it gives a lot more room to work on it. I assume you know you need a pulley puller. You can get those from auto zone, just a deposit and then return it. Combo will definetly make the car rev faster. Oh yeah, nice to see someone else from Missouri, I'm in St. Charles.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

+1 on hawgmann, I got the belt from NAPA, #060990 it's 1" shorter.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 AM
duk
1st Gear Member

Has anyone had a problem with the electric water pump? Call me old fashioned but those things just scare me.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Why do they scare you? The life span of them works out to be about what you would expect from a mechanical pump. If you toss a belt, you can drive far enough to get off the highway or possibly even long enough to get it fixed if you don't have far to go and not worry about overheating the car. What is it that scares you? EH2O pumps have been around for quite a while. It is proven technology. No more scarey than an electric fan instead of a belt driven one.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 AM
duk
1st Gear Member

I guess that i have a bias against the electric water pump becuase, as you brought up, of the electric fans. I work at a junk yard and half of the cars that we get in with bad motors in them mysteriously have bad electric fans in them also. Now i know that fan clutches go out but in my experience not as much as the electric motors. My real problem is that I really dont know that much about them. I have only seen them used in a drag car. It just seems that you are relying on an electric connection for one of the most important pieces on the car. Yeah there are tons of pieces that rely on an electrical connection but if the water pump went out it would still run like nothing is wrong with it until the temp starts to go up and hopefully you realized it in time. I am probably worrying about this too much though.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

and if a mechanical pump went out it would run like nothing is wrong until the temp went up.

Two solutions.
1) Don't rely on the P.O.S. analog idiot light that Ford put in the car. Get yourself a real tempature gauge.
2) Run a LED from your power feed of the fuel pump so that you have visual verification of it having power.

The pumps are rated for over 30,000 hours. If you work that out, it is actually the same as a mechanical pump.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I have those mods. I didnt notice any difference.

Quick Reply: Mezier Electric Water Pump w/Single Steeda UPD??