Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First time up to 132mph today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default First time up to 132mph today.

As stated I was able to hit 132mph today. I was only able to hold it for maybe 15secs but I have to admit the car seems very, very steady and calm at that speed for lack of a better description.

There was the wind sound whipping past, there was the scream of the exhaust and besides that not alot going on. I was kinda surprised just how steady the steering wheel was along with the lack of "shake/vibration". The Mustang has impressed me once again! To be honest the car felt like it was not even close to the stopping point.

What is the point that our cars stop excelerating?(sp) I know what the speedo says but if we changed to a speedo that says, say 180mph how much faster than the stock 140 could we push? I dont mean what some mag says, I mean real world what you guys think?

Very curious...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First time up to 132mph today.

It would all have to depend on your gearing and power. At those speeds aerodynamics really come into play, so even if your car is capable of reaching 180 mph... If you don't have enough power to break the aerodynamic barrier, you won't be able to reach it. It's like running on a beautiful spring morning, compared to running in 4 feet of water.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

As stated I was able to hit 132mph today. I was only able to hold it for maybe 15secs but I have to admit the car seems very, very steady and calm at that speed for lack of a better description.

There was the wind sound whipping past, there was the scream of the exhaust and besides that not alot going on. I was kinda surprised just how steady the steering wheel was along with the lack of "shake/vibration". The Mustang has impressed me once again! To be honest the car felt like it was not even close to the stopping point.

What is the point that our cars stop excelerating?(sp) I know what the speedo says but if we changed to a speedo that says, say 180mph how much faster than the stock 140 could we push? I dont mean what some mag says, I mean real world what you guys think?

Very curious...
Love your Mustang! Sweet looking ride.....I've had my '06 GT up to the limit of the speedo(150 or so), but in all reality probably 145mph. Although you have about 70 more rwhp than my car and did your tune remove the speed limiter? I'd say you should at least hit 160-165mph considering your output.....how did your hood hold up? Scares me to death once that hood starts doing the mambo.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

I'm not that brave.....I get too nervous going 100 mph, much less 140. Then agin I live in Memphis Tn, the worse people who can possibly drive live here.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:26 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8URWS6

I'm not that brave.....I get too nervous going 100 mph, much less 140. Then agin I live in Memphis Tn, the worse people who can possibly drive live here.
I guess people are different when it comes to this because I'm only 15 and the most fun thing I ever did was when I pushed my friend's RSX to 100.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

I never thought I would say this, but man I'm getting old. That just sounds irresponsible to me. That's the fastest way to die my friend. I got two kids and a wife who need me and that just isn't a way to act, much less the high cost of insurance and ummmm trying not to pay for bail cause I went to JAIL! Here, they take your car, auction it off and suspend your license and put you in jail for speeding over 25mph over the speed limit. Good luck, sounds like your going to need it pulling stunts like that.
ORIGINAL: sw07gt

ORIGINAL: 8URWS6

I guess people are different when it comes to this because I'm only 15 and the most fun thing I ever did was when I pushed my friend's RSX to 100.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 AM
2006gtstick
1st Gear Member

I've had mine up to 145 a couple of times, and when I hit 145 it was still pulling in 4th gear. I did'nt notice any hood shudder or vibration.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Ok BSC (before supercharger) I took the vert with the top down to 142 (just over 140 on the speedo and GPS recorded 139 max speed) there was so much distraction with all the wind noise and movement I wanted no more. A few days later with the top up I had the speedo to what I would guess 145+ car was still climbing but ran out of room (I never felt a hard speed limiter at that speed)

Then ASC and tune (should be able to figure out ASC lol) Lets just say the 149 speed limiter is no longer! It’s amazing while on a run, how fast it goes by 130 through 140 and on easily over what would be 150.
I understand lots of people will not condone this, I do understand this and great; I’m sure your opinion is important to YOU!
I will say this, more importantly then having the power to go these speeds. Upgrading the suspension, brakes, and tires makes the car stay way more settled and feel much better when doing things like this.

One last thing There is a big difference between 130 and 150!!! Everything is exaggerated!!!! And gets more and more as you go up!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Menace---Hmmmm, I got 4.10's. I keep forgetting everything is not listed.

05gtdriver--Thanks. You know the hood was very steady and quiet. Like I said I expected things to be rough and rowdy but everything was real smooth and calm. I gotta check with Brenspeed to see if they removed the limiter. Thats a good question, I will check.

8URWS6--- I hear ya bro. Not a good idea to try on the street my man. We were at a closed privet airstrip for small planes. Without going into to much detail (you can guess why) we are able to get in and get a few runs in before we all get scared and booked out of there. I dont know how long the straight away is but you dont have very long to get on it and back off before GRASS lol. Anyway, you just gotta get your nerve up. at over 100mph it does not even feel like you are going that fast. The main reason you know you are going that fast is because you look at the speedo OR you are flying past things. If you are alone it really just feels like cruizin. Well, except for the wind and exhaust.

sw07gt---Hey, its not worth it, I would have never done that at 15 or on a public street. Find a closed area or track or something. I KNOW how exciting it is to do just about anything in a car at 15, but remember we want to play another day. Good luck bro.

2006gtstick---Niceee, yeah I have always heard about shake or vibration but I did not really have any. Maybe next time about the 130 mark?

05SDI---Man I cant wait to see what 150mph feels like. If I notice the hood vibrating I will look into hood pins (functional) to add to next years mod list. I always wanted a Vert. Gotta live through you I guess.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

i went from 4th to 5th at 140 mph . . .

i didn't want to push 5th so i let off when i put it in gear. . .

i think i could have def hit high 150's in 5th, if not 160, it was pulling as hard as ever

but 5th takes a lot longer to speed up, so i didn't want to try it. . .

Quick Reply: First time up to 132mph today.