Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default SLP's worth the money?

If I were to just remove my stock GT mufflers, how different would it sound from the Loudmouths? I just find it hard to put down over $300 for some bent tubing and nice tips.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM
carnut
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SLP's worth the money?

look up the sound on youtube or something to see if you like it. the SLP's are loud and have a very throaty exhaust note. thats all that axle-back mufflers do is they give the car a much more aggressive sound.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Believe me, I've been obsessing over this for a while now. I love the LM sound, but I just wonder whether they sound any different than a stock exhaust with no mufflers since the LM's are just straight-thru pipes.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
carnut
1st Gear Member

well of course the stock exhaust would be louder and you would probably get a few extra ponies BUT mufflers are state law in most states so i definitely wouldnt stray that way.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Sn00ganS1337
1st Gear Member

I just put the LMs on last night and while I don't know what our cars sound like with no mufflers, the SLPs sound fantastic. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

How loud are they at cruising RPM (2-3k)? Is it just noticeably loud or tending more toward obnoxious? Is it possible to keep them relatively quiet when cruising around, or are they always screaming?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carnut

well of course the stock exhaust would be louder and you would probably get a few extra ponies BUT mufflers are state law in most states so i definitely wouldnt stray that way.
The LM's do not have mufflers. And SLP says they are 50 state legal. Emissions legal anyways . Check with your local dB laws to see how loud you can go without being ticketed. Although Ive never had a problem with loud exhaust and Im in cali.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Sn00ganS1337
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

How loud are they at cruising RPM (2-3k)? Is it just noticeably loud or tending more toward obnoxious? Is it possible to keep them relatively quiet when cruising around, or are they always screaming?
They're not obnoxious at all! at low RPM, they don't sound THAT much louder than stock. A friend of mine actually commented today about how mellow they sound in the cockpit at low RPM. He changed his tune when I really got on it though.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:37 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

People tend to describe the LM's as louder than they really are. I've never had any trouble with the police officers around here. Hell, I've even been lined up by one at a light and started off normally (not trying to keep the sound level down) and he didn't even care. They sound great to me and I woudn't trade them for any other brand of exhaust.

As for hearing the car with no mufflers or SLP LM's:
Yes, I actually drove it around like that for a few days to see if I liked it. It is much louder and doesn't sound very good IMO. The SLP LM's give it a better quality sound.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

People tend to describe the LM's as louder than they really are. I've never had any trouble with the police officers around here. Hell, I've even been lined up by one at a light and started off normally (not trying to keep the sound level down) and he didn't even care. They sound great to me and I woudn't trade them for any other brand of exhaust.

As for hearing the car with no mufflers or SLP LM's:
Yes, I actually drove it around like that for a few days to see if I liked it. It is much louder and doesn't sound very good IMO. The SLP LM's give it a better quality sound.
Your car sounds bad *** going down the track. I think im going to stick with my Bassani and just get an off-road h-pipe when I get longtubes with my x-mas bonus.

Quick Reply: SLP's worth the money?