Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Foglights

If it's night, turn on your HEADLIGHTS.

That "P" with the light thing means "parking lights". Wanna guess when parking lights should be used? Hint it's part of the term "parking lights".

Next, whether they are yellow or clear, those lights inside the headlights, are FOG LIGHTS. They are designed to give a wide short beam. Driving lights give LONG narrow beams.

The headlights put out more light, and trhrow light about twice as far as the foglights.

Using just headlights, there can be an area fairly close to the car that isn't well lit.

Using just fogs, area close to the car will be well lit, but the range of the lights isn't that great.

When using both, you get the best of both.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

All 4, All the time.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I wasn't even aware you could turn on JUST the fogs. I may have to play around tonight in the garage to figure it out!!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

You remember that commericial a while back. I think it was for Volkwagen...Basically there was a couple driving around in their VW and all around them there were people with Megaphones sitting in their car screaming at them..

Found a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Bpy4EvivI

Anyways, that is what I think of the mentality of people who feel the need to drive around with their fog lights on when it isn't necessary for the purpose of looking "cool."

Case in point:

Ktown makes a good point. I use mine most of the time too. Besides, I don't want somebody thinking I'm driving a V6 because they don't see the foglights.
[sm=lame.gif]

Oh yeah, let's not have someone think that. Trust me, no one on the road gives a ratz a$$ about what car you own/drive, etc. It's called reality my friend.

(Sarcasm)But I don't use them to look cool, I use them because I can see better with them on!(Sarcasm) No $hit? Really?! Wow, and I bet the next thing you'll tell me is the sky is blue! (Thank you Mr. Obvious.) Please, allow me to introduce to you something that has long been missing in your life....IT'S CALLED COMMON COURTESY!! You're not the only person on the road! So maybe, the next time you're basking in your ability to output more light than the Sun, you would stop to think of the other person, coming at you, who can't see crap because they're being blinded by some douchebag.

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 10-21-2006, 07:33 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for that constructive rant and carefully chosen words...Anyway, I do use mine all the time because I can see better. I have no street lights where I live and the difference between having the fogs on or off is huge to me. Yeah, I get flashed once in awhile, but they're not any brighter than the HID these BMWs are running out here. My common courtesy piece is that I don't flash them. I just ignore those that do flash me...
Old 10-21-2006, 03:09 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Just turn to parking lights only and pull out for fogs.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Rachels Stang

I have a tech question about fog lights. I have factory fog lights that I bought from the Ford dealer. The car was already wired inside but I had to mount the relays and route the wires in the engine compartment myself. The instructions that came with it told me which wires I had to splice into on the steering column all and all it is was a simple installation. However that 2000 mustang was totaled and I took the fog lights off and now have them installed on my 2002 mustang except for splicing them into the wires on the steering column I no longer have the instructions. Does anyone know the color of the wires I'm talking about?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:19 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I use all 4 cuz for one...they look COOL at nite. Second im not a bragging kinda of person but i do like the fact people know its a GT. Sure; its not Ferrari, or Lambo, etc. But its kool when someone sees the 4 lights comin up in the mirrors, they know what coming (and YES, i know that everyone doesnt know about cars and most people dont care; but its for the few..so shut up)

If you paid the extra money for a GT, and you dont care about the perfomance, or you dont want people to know its a gt... WHY DID YOU BUY IT??????????????

PUT ON THE 4 LIGHTS unless you like the sleeper effect which is also kinda cool.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 AM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

I must say, when driving down the highway you can instantly tell if there is another Mustang GT in the oncoming lane if you see 4 lights in a row...
Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Slickryan

I agree w/ Johnnyv8 100%. Why did you buy it, if you didn't care about what people thought of it? The new GT is definitely an image thing, and is surely looks cool with four lights shining...not to mention the body style itself (SWEET!).
As for Trapeze, that's probably some mid 40 yr. old wife, who's husband handed her a new GT, and really had no choice whatsoever in what car she was going to get! LOL Therefore SHE'S enjoying a good rant more than anything. (Not to down any Mustang ladies who really do enjoy their cars.)
The fogs are cool, and aren't much brighter than any other set of lights on the road.
We are a click Trapeze...don't go dissing on us for showing off a little. Nuff said.