Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JLT CAI tomorrow...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default JLT CAI tomorrow...any suggestions?

My JLT 2 CAI is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I was curious if anyone had a special recommendations or suggestions for the install. I know it will be super easy, but I just can't wait.

I've heard this both ways, but do I need to pull those fuses before I throw in my tune?

BTW, after reading everyones stories, I'm basically expecting to wet myself during my first test-drive.......... so if I'm not near wetting my pants.... I might be dissapointed. Hope ya'll are right.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

Default RE: JLT CAI tomorrow...any suggestions?

The procedure is simple. A single 10mm (i think) bolt hold on the factory air box. A torx removes the MAF sensor from the factory runner. Remove the clamp at the throttle body and the factory air box is history. The install is even easier. Install MAF the proper way, clamp on the runner, install the shield and clamp on the air filter. You'll be done in 20-30 minutes.

To load up the program, no need to remove any fuses. Plug into the diagnostic port under the steering colums and have at it. You'll certainly be impressed with the extra 25 hp and much nicer throttle response for sure. Not earth shattering like running nitrus or going with a S/C but a very stout seat of the pants feel and you can't beat the gain for the effort or price.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

This is a no brain required install, you will not have any problems.

Your going to love the difference with CAI + Tune. Congrats!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Be carefull with the vent hose nipple that's on the bottom of the JLT intake tube. It feels a bit fragile so take care when pushing the rubber hose on it.

The other end goes to the tube coming out of the valve cover, no hose clamp was supplied, but removing mine today made me decide to get one. It seemed awfully loose.

I also noticed today when removing the JLT that the bottom of the air filter hits the metal inner fender and I think it's been causing a rattling noise up front. Not sure what to do about that yet, I can't really raise it up as it's allready plenty close to the hood, maybe just some cushining material under it will do the trick.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

As mentioned,very easy install. Which octane tune you gonna run? I used the 89 tune @ first, but switched to the 93 after a few weeks & it feels like I have more low-end torque or better pull with the 93 than with the 89 tune.
My filter(the small end) also rubs on the inner fender on the bottom & the hood on top, I added a small piece of foam tape on those spots.
Have the JLT2 w/Brenspeed tunes.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I have also noticed the rattling sound, and it did actually scrape paint off the area it was hitting. I cured that with an adhesive furniture foot pad. Another thing that I noticed recently was that the radiator line that runs under the plastic tube part of the intake was scratching paint off the tube. It's on the underside, but I put some thick electrical tape over the scratched areas to prevent it from scratching any deeper into the plastic.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yep! I noticed the rubbing on the bottom too. I wasn't to worried about it though.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I'll be running a bamachips 92 torque tune first...and I've got an 87 and 92 performance tune as well. They don't sell 93 octane where I come from. Pretty excited to see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice.

I'll let you know if I wet myself.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:06 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

The torx head on the MAF tricked me up for a second. Fortunately I have a screw gun with lots of unusual bits and this was one of them. Otherwise it was a piece of cake.

Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have a nice little screw driver with 4 interchangeable torque bits, fortunately they always seem to be the size I need.

ORIGINAL: gidyup

The torx head on the MAF tricked me up for a second. Fortunately I have a screw gun with lots of unusual bits and this was one of them. Otherwise it was a piece of cake.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: JLT CAI tomorrow...any suggestions?